Thread: Outboard install

Default Outboard install

Im in the process of installing a new outboard and can't remember which part of the motor to level with the bottom of the boat. I know the cavitation plate is the one just above the prop however, my honda 90 has another plate about 2 inches above that one and in between the 2 plates there are a few holes and the anti corrosion anode. Does that plate get leveled with the bottom of the boat or is it the standard cavitation plate level with just the prop below the hull?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Starting point is for the lower plate to be even with the bottom of the boat. I would look at the operations manual for your particular motor. Page 24/25 of the 150HP Yamaha manual shows a pik. This is the starting point - different boats and loads may require adjustment.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...GPjvbA4dWaqycw

Hondas manual had no such picture in it that I could find. Ill look one more time though.

I have two boats with the Honda BF90 and the bottom of the hull is supposed to be level with the cavitation plate.

Sobie2

Definitely begs the question WHY there are two plates? I've wondered that about my BF50 since I bought it. My hull is even with the cavitation plate, perhaps slightly lower.

Even is a good starting point but depending on the boat speed the cav plate may need to be higher then the hull. Greater boats speeds require the engine to be higher. That's what Merc recommends. Set it even and leave room to ajust it up if needed.

Thanks guys. Its getting a transom jack as well so I can run a jet and raise the motor slightly with a prop if necessary. The way the motor looks it was just a bit confusing. I guess that other plate will be under the water line as well but those holes look like some sort of cooling so I wanted to make sure I was putting it at the right height. Installing at the incorrect height would also alter the level of the jet when jacked as well so I really need to be right on.