Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wooldridge SS Pilothouse custom build

Default Wooldridge SS Pilothouse custom build

After 9 years of running a 20 foot Weldcraft in Prince William Sound we decided to upgrade to something more comfortable. We had been looking at different boats since 2011 and always came back to the Wooldridge as being the boat that made the most sense for us. We visited the factory and pulled the trigger in June. Danny and Grant and the whole crew there are a pleasure to work with. We'll post some pictures along to way to show the progress.

Here are a few more details.
    27FT Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse
    150 gallon fuel tank
    no paint
    fishing machine option
    stand up head
    diamond plate bow guards
    diamond plate floor in cockpit area
    (2) 50 gallon fish lockers
    transom door on port side
    high bow rails
    folding ladder under offshore bracket
    cuddy bed extension
    dinette
    suspension seat
    sink w/9 gallon tank
    webasto forced air heat
    washdown pump
    lewmar winch
    Garmin GPS/MAP 1040xs w/GA38 antenna
    Yamaha F250 4.2L with digital controls
    Yamaha T9.9 kicker

Congrats, great choice, and your going to love it!
    Look forward to seeing this build along with the pics.
    Bk

Let the fun commence! Couple things I'd consider; radar a must (is that what the G38 antenna is for?), I'd go with an Espar d4 for heat, they simply work, all the time (I run mine year round and somewhere on here I've heard of some gripes about the Webasto), and for your washdown pump, have them put in a quality high volume/flow model. Mine will reach the next row of boats across the fairway from my slip, also I installed the pickup without drilling holes in the hull.
    2nd vhf. Stereo. Not sure if it's standard practice but I'd also have em go with circuit breaker panels with more than enough circuits to add stuff later. Some factory boat wiring/fuse panels very inadequate.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

What is a "fishing machine" option?!? I may need that....

The fishing machine option is a package that includes:
    Self bailing deck using diamond plate
    150 gallon tank upgrade from standard 97 gallon
    2 50 gallon fish lockers built into the floor
    7 inch higher sides around the cockpit area
    3 locking storage enclosures build into the transom

Great ideas! We appreciate the input. We did not go with radar due to budget. The G38 is just the Garmin external GPS antenna. We did order the Fusion stereo setup with the waterproof speakers. I'll be curious how it sounds compared to the Bose outdoor speakers we had before. The washdown pump is 5.2GPM. We went with their recommendation on the Webasto. Will check on the fuse panel question.

I second the upgrade of any and all pumps on board. Wash down, maceration or whatever, have them install the best that they can. The pumps on our kingfisher are crap and getting in the tight spots to replace or rebuild them is nearly impossible.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

That is going to be really nice. I don't see the value in the radar. There has been 1 time in 5 years where I could have used one (or needed to maybe). Auto pilot is higher on my wishlist than the radar is.

What is the bottom thickness of the SS models?

Somethinshiny,
    Check your pm's, I have a few ideas to consider.
    Bk

I agree that the radar is not a necessity for a private boat. I may have had a handful of days over the last 10 years that I have really needed radar, although it is nice in overlay mode for marking the charter boat locations! I use my autopilot all the time though, on both my kicker and main. I would have then rig a hydraulic switch so you can use your steering for both the main and the kicker, and then this works in the future when you add an autopilot so that it can be used on both the main and the kicker.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

git a strong pump 4 da sh*ttur 2.. nuttin werse dan a clogd crapah in hi seaz

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I agree that the radar is not a necessity for a private boat. I may have had a handful of days over the last 10 years that I have really needed radar, although it is nice in overlay mode for marking the charter boat locations! I use my autopilot all the time though, on both my kicker and main. I would have then rig a hydraulic switch so you can use your steering for both the main and the kicker, and then this works in the future when you add an autopilot so that it can be used on both the main and the kicker.
    20 years of boating, and I've used my Radar on two occasions. However, both times I was glad it was there. I too use the autopilot quite a bit, furuno and garmin on the kicker. I'm intrigued by this hydraulic switch idea.

I'm seriously considering a Wooldridge build for delivery spring of 2017. Look forward to hearing from you as this progresses.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

The bottom thickness or gauge is 3/16".
    The side gauge is .160".
    I wont have a radar arch on the roof, only hand rails running down the sides raised 7". We are putting the rocket launchers on the sides of the cabin so the roof is clear to slide the dinghy on and off. I cant afford a hoist either!

Hi Jim! We just have the tiller model 9.9 tied to the main engine with the stainless rod so you turn steer both motors all the time. It's the same setup I had on the "Filthy Oar". My autopilot will probably have the same last name as me. I'm always too afraid of running into floating debris in PWS.

Ah, I thought that may be you but I thought you were going with a 24' boat. What. no twins?? You are semiretired so should have time for more maintenance...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I like the rocket launchers to the sides for getting pots and coolers on and off the roof to. I usually take my dingy up the side still since there is less to get hung up on.

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

one more thing, I like the electronic thermostat for the webasto way better than the mechanical one.

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I've used my radar 3x this season so far; can't remember how many times the previous years; if you have to power it up once it's done paid for itself. Course we run daily and can't lose business if it can be helped. I've got the basic Furuno 1623 and it's great, nothing fancy and it will pick up logs.
    My washdown pump is 7gpm, big difference over the 5. When you use all the stuff we're talking about (heater, electronics, fuses vs. circuit breakers, washdown) a lot (and especially in the winter) it makes sense to upgrade. I have a factory boat have replaced all the above for a reason.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

We got a chance to visit the factory again and go over our options list again. Ended up spending more money, what a surprise. Nice to see how well they are progressing in person. Got some new pictures to share!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast