Thread: Looking for a last minute plan B.

Default Looking for a last minute plan B.

A group of 4 of us were supposed to be flying out on the 6th from Happy Valley for caribou. Our pilot called today and recommended that we don't come. Nothing like shutting it down at the last minute, but such is life with migratory animals and weather.

Three of us are scheduled to fly up on Friday the 4th from the lower 48, and we would still like to come. The fourth member of our group lives in the Anchorage area. So we have a home base of operation that we can work from. We are not against changing to a different caribou herd hunt or change it to a moose hunt, but have a feeling finding an air transport service with an opening last minute is probably not very likely. Open to suggestions! I have a couple different flight services that operate on the north slope I am going to call first thing in the morning to see if we can salvage our original hunt plan with a different air service first, then start exploring other options.

I will be coming up regardless even if its is just to hang with my buddy and do a little fishing, the other two will probably stay home, understandably.

Thanks!
    Colin

Maybe call some of the flight services that operate out of Delta Junction, Tok, or Fairbanks and ask if they can get you into Zone 2 of the 40 Mile herd? That would likely be a productive option for caribou and possibly for moose. Might not be able to find an opening, but it's worth a shot.

If you have a buddy in Anchorage you can hunt the 40mi herd on RC860. You might find a spot on a fly with 40 Mile Air from Tok and a couple of zones are accessible by road. You'll have company but hunting is better than not hunting.

If you're a bowhunter, heading up the Haul Rd. isn't such a bad plan. Not as good as flying in, but lots of guys are successful there.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Curious as to why the pilot suggested you not come? I've been reading alot of this on rokslide and other forums. Seems like people are being told the caribou numbers aren't there, but reports from those who have gone up and hunted have been the usual.

Thanks for some of the suggestions so far. As far as why he suggested we not come. Lack of caribou and concerns about getting us in and out of the field because of forecasted weather. I had read that on rokslide earlier in the week as well and my buddy made a call to the pilot to see what the deal was. He said that the hunting was getting better and that we should be good to go, but then today he called my buddy and recommended we not come.

I have been on the phone all morning talking to different people and pilots. Sounds like the weather is terrible up there and people are stuck at the air strips wanting to get out and guys stuck in the field wanting to get home. Looking at maybe going over to Kodiak on an impromptu blacktail hunt.

I'min Kodiak and fly out on the 4th for a goat hunt. Lots of deer around this year. I would call Rowland at Seahawk or Andrews Air. Rowland maybe booked up, that's who I'm flying with, but Andrews has more planes, so may have more openings. As well, there are caribou on the south end in small numbers.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Also call Kingfisher Air if the above services are booked. We used them a few years ago and were highly impressed with their service and their aircraft.

My buddy guides the brooks for sheep and said they were all stuck in camp. Three straight weeks of wind and rain I guess.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Sure recipe for P'ed off clients. Nothing like thousands of dollars a day for the pleasure of being a frustrated tent prisoner.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    My buddy guides the brooks for sheep and said they were all stuck in camp. Three straight weeks of wind and rain I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Sure recipe for P'ed off clients. Nothing like thousands of dollars a day for the pleasure of being a frustrated tent prisoner.
    Ya, but it's not like the outfitter can make the weather change so they can fly out.

BRWBR how does that work normally in the guide world? If you're stuck in camp and never get to fly into sheep country is it refunded? I know with the charter side, weather cancels the day it's usually refunded or rebooked.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

This also happened with our group and that transporter. We got returned from flying out of kotzebue with northern trophy air and everyone was taking nice bulls. Saw small numbers but we all tagged out. Sucks finding a plan B on short notice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is the chance you take hunting in Alaska. Sister and I just spent 10 days sheep hunting in muck boots and snowshoes. Snow was up to her knees after the main storm.

If you had your heart set on caribou, there's always Adak. Expensive hunt if you don't have the miles to get tix.
    My signature is awesome.