Thread: Need some help in the Fairbanks area

Default Need some help in the Fairbanks area

Hi everybody, my wife and I are visiting our daughter, son in-law, and brand new granddaughter in Fairbanks next week, he's stationed at Ft. Wainwright. I'm planning on sneaking away for one day of fishing, really can't afford a guided trip so have been web searching places I can go on my own. Turns out there are tons of public fishing places! (Unlike here in Oklahoma). So I figured this was the best place to get some expert advice on where I should go for the best chance to catch some fish. From what I've read grayling and silver salmon will be my best bet, any tips on where to go and lures to use will be greatly appreciated. I plan on bringing a light spinning reel and a heavy bait caster, buy a couple rods when I get there. If I'm dreaming and need to figure out a way to pay for a guide would like to know that too. Thanks for any and all advice, can't wait to visit your part of the world!

You won't need a bait casting setup just a light spinning rod and a fly rod if you fly fish. It looks like the rivers are all going to be very high and dirty for the next week or two so you will have better luck fishing one of the many stocked lakes in the area.

Yup it's been raining a lot so rivers are very high. No silvers here in Fairbanks area yet.so you have to travel 200 miles to find any. Only salmon here now is spawned out chums.
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Laker Hunter View Post
    Yup it's been raining a lot so rivers are very high. No silvers here in Fairbanks area yet.so you have to travel 200 miles to find any. Only salmon here now is spawned out chums.
    It's only about 100 miles to Delta. Probably worth mentioning that it's not legal to even try to catch salmon upstream of the dam, which includes the entire upper Chena. But, the river is tough going right now - still extremely high and dirty (but likely to be in much better shape by next week). The ponds are in great shape, though, and some of the sloughs are fishable.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Lots of ponds and lakes. Like others have said if you want to make the trek to delta the clearwater has great grayling fishing. We have had some rain too but we arent quite as blown out as the fairbanks area.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks a lot guys, good info, will do some research on Delta, saw on an older post here a site to see the stocked lakes in the area

Well I dont fish Chena much but Chatanika has Chums, white fish,pike,grayling and shee fish now.
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

We are renting a cabin in the Goldstream valley area, looks quite a bit closer to Chatanika than to Delta, doing any good there now?

Was on the Chatanika last weekend and it is very very full and dirty so was tough to fish. Was targeting Grayling but did see one Salmon roll. Not sure you are allowed to catch them in there though so be sure to carefully read the regs before you start. I will say that Delta Clearwater is awesome water to fish with big grayling and very fun sight-fishing that being said I think it is only that great if you have boat IMO.

Don't discount the Upper Chena just yet...current gauge height is 17.25 and dropping with a cooperative weather forecast helping things out over the next week (if that forecast holds...you know how that goes). You didn't say when next week you might slip away for your one day trip, but if it's Monday you will likely encounter a gauge height of 16.5, and that is quite fishable. If you can wait another day or two, it will get even better. You will still find fish in the upper reaches, so I'd recommend heading up to the first bridge identified as North Fork simply because you will be above the contribution/influence of the middle fork. Many times I've found very fishable conditions above the middle fork. It is getting a little later in the year, and some of the grayling are probably responding to that urge to head downstream, but I've had good luck in the far reaches (mile 50 and beyond) well into September depending on the year. I see that you are spin fishing, and while I pretty much just fly fish up there now, I can remember many an excellent day in my youth tossing panther martins. Best of luck!
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Hey thanks a lot! We are flying in late Saturday night, will be there a week, the only plans set are Denali on Monday because it's supposed to be sunny. Will wait till Wednesday or Thursday to go fishing, hopefully be better conditions. Also give me a few days to hang around and talk to folks