Thread: Rifle for camping tripTh

Default Rifle for camping tripTh

Hi, Planning a long camping trip up next summer and am bringing my A2 along for animal protection. Of course this give me need to upgrade it so as not to have problems right? Any reason is a good reason. I purchased a NiB BCG recently and was wondering if would have any issue with the weather or environment? I don't need to bring something that wont work and get damaged. Anyone have any input?

Here's the link so you can see what I got.

Thanks.

http://arbarrelkings.com/collections...l-boron-finish

It'll run just fine but an AR is not the greatest choice as critter protection in the Greatland. In fact it's a rather poor choice unless the upper is like 458 SOCOM or 50 Beowulf because the critters are rather large, 5.56 is better than nothing but doesn't stop large cranky critters very well at all.

So going with your "any reason is a good reason" thinking I'd say leave the AR home and pick up a 870 or 500 12 gage slug gun for camp and a quality (not a Taurus) 44mag revolver, and a Diamond-D chest rig to put it in for fishing hiking. Very good reasons for them both but you could get by with one or the other if you must.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Great excuse to pick up a lil 45/70.

Quote Originally Posted by BJones View Post
    ...animal protection....
    If I have other folks along who might have to grab the camp gun and use it, I'll usually pack a 12 gauge pump as a camp gun. On my own, it's always my 20" 375H&H. Truth be known, I even pack the 375 when other folks will be along. They can use that 12 as they see fit, but my 375 is never far from hand.

You REALLY don't want the neat shiny finish and all the gizmos on an AR platform gun to go through what my 12 and 375 have endured. Not a speck of bluing left on either of them, and the stocks look like weathered beach wood. Didn't take many trips at all for that to happen, either.

If that AR has special value for you, bring it along and recognize its severe limitations. But also be ready to turn it into a beater.

I would suggest bringing the other BCG as a backup. I am clearly in the minority, but I mostly carry a AR-15 (6.8SPC-II) now on my daily walk/hikes. Mostly because of this versatility and field stripability.

Quote Originally Posted by BJones View Post
    Hi, Planning a long camping trip up next summer and am bringing my A2 along for animal protection. Of course this give me need to upgrade it so as not to have problems right? Any reason is a good reason. I purchased a NiB BCG recently and was wondering if would have any issue with the weather or environment? I don't need to bring something that wont work and get damaged. Anyone have any input?

Here's the link so you can see what I got.

Thanks.

http://arbarrelkings.com/collections...l-boron-finish

Where do you plan to camp? Some places you needn't worry about bringing a gun.

The BCG looks great, but if a good old parkerized/chromed BCG works around the world for the US military, it'll survive a trip to Alaska.

Upgrade & I'd go with the blaser 470 nitro express.

My camp rifle is a LSI Puma in 454 Casull. Light, quick handling and has enough range and power to work as a back up rifle. I'm not an AR guy as they have too many sticky out thingies for my liking.

12 gauge pump is a great choice. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot and reliable with lots of effectiveness.
    Next I would look into a 45-70.. also easy to use, not so cheap to buy or shoot. But more fun! Next, consider a 44 mag or 454 in a rossi lever gun. They can be had at a reasonable cost. Let us know what you get.

Many moons ago in a land far away I saw a fellow GI kill a water buff with an M16A1 and one shot thru the horns. That said, I wouldn't count on an AR in 5.56 as a bear gun although I did carry a mini 14 as a plane gun and felt comfortable that with a 20 round mag. it would be a good survival weapon and fortunately never needed it.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    12 gauge pump is a great choice.
    That's turned into a favorite of ours too. Never needed it for defense, but over the years we've sure eaten a lot of fresh ptarmigan, ducks and snowshoe hare. Guy gets his deer early, and what's he going to do? Sit around camp while the rest of us tag out? Yeah, we pack slugs mostly for overnight in the 12, but we're also sure to put in a few boxes of shot loads.

"Camp" gun for us is not strictly a survival concept.

Another vote for the Rossi in 44 mag or casull. I'd make it stainless.
    The 44 would be a lot better for a general camp gun and has plenty of power if loaded with the right bullets.
    10 rounds of 300 grainers will do a lot of persuading.

I use a separate gun for small game as the Puma or a 12ga is just too much for ptarmigan and such. I have a Stevens tip up single shot pistol that is quite accurate and it and a box of 22shorts is still way under the weight of a single box of 12ga. shells. A pump shotgun does make a nice camp gun but the OP was asking about a camp rifle. Also, a handful of catsneeze cast bullet loads can turn your favorite hunting rifle into a good small game getter. There are many ways to accomplish a task but for an Alaskan camp gun the number one necessity would be a gun that throws a fat heavy bullet at 1200 fps +.

Interesting thread –

I just got a Henry Big Boy in 44 Mag for my B-day (sweet little rifle). The wife remembered me talking about a 44 Mag lever action as a “Camp Gun”. Also to share the same ammo with my Dan Wesson 44.

But as stated, any 12g with slugs is hard to beat.

I always struggle with picking a camping gun and usually wind up taking several....a concealed hand gun for miscreants, something bigger for large critters (sometimes a pump shotgun because of its versatility), and something for plinking/small game (if the season is open). Of course If I'm backpacking that list gets trimmed down to one firearm. It really is hard to settle on one tool. I suppose the shotgun comes closest to covering all bases when paired with slugs, buckshot, and birdshot.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDuck View Post
    Of course If I'm backpacking that list gets trimmed down to one firearm. It really is hard to settle on one tool.
    In my youth (yeah, long long ago!) I did a lot of backpacking for deer up here. I'd set out for 3-7 days in the high country, spending a lot of time exploring and looking for good horns. It was all pretty frustrating to be wandering around tired of freeze dry, meanwhile surrounded by ptarmigan. Popped a few heads for dinners with my deer loads, but it always seemed kinda foolish to be turning down deer for days, then come off the mountain with nothing to show for all those ptarmigan.

"Solved" the problem for the most part by working up cast bullet loads for all my rifles, carefully selected to give POA hits out as far as 50 yards with no sight changes when sighted in with my big game loads. Great fun to work up those loads, as well as to bring home 20 ptarmigan on the last day. The nice thing about those cast loads, there was no mistaking them for hunting loads in a pocket.

Of course the story goes on from there. I got so enamored with the ptarmigan I ended up carrying a revolver or Contender for deer along with a 28 gauge shotgun. I'd stash the shotgun near my base camp while I was wandering for deer with the handgun, then use the shotgun the last evening and next morning for some quality jump shooting. Of course, that came with age when I started turning into more of a bird hunter. Recent years I shoot a meat deer closer to home to minimize my packing, then climb into the high country with a sweet shotgun strictly for ptarmigan. Nirvana!