Thread: Recently picked up Stainless Ruger All Weather M77 Mark II in .308

Default Recently picked up Stainless Ruger All Weather M77 Mark II in .308

With ammo at $40/box I am not really inclined to go out and buy a dozen boxes of ammo to see what it likes to shoot. I am thinking that this gun will shoot 150, 165, and 180 grain bullets. I am looking at hunting bullets. So if anyone out there has a stainless Ruger M77 MKII in .308 22" barrel (not the target model) I'd like to heard what you shoot in your gun, or what factory loads your gun likes to shoot.

Much appreciated!

Sobie2

Don't have that gun (wish I did!), but in virtually every 308 I've owned since the 1950's has preferred 165's. Coincidentally, that also gives the best mix of velocity, trajectory and power for my tastes. Top bullet for me has always been the Nosler Partition. That combo (165 Partitions) would be the first round I'd try, and if it shot well enough, I'd quit my search right there.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Don't have that gun (wish I did!), but in virtually every 308 I've owned since the 1950's has preferred 165's. Coincidentally, that also gives the best mix of velocity, trajectory and power for my tastes. Top bullet for me has always been the Nosler Partition. That combo (165 Partitions) would be the first round I'd try, and if it shot well enough, I'd quit my search right there.
    I second this opinion. 165 grain nosler partition is a great hunting bullet out of 308/30-06.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Why not the 180 gr Partition?

The 180 doesn't shoot nearly so flat. Don't remember the downrange energy figures, but they're comparable too if memory serves. But the big deal for me is that the trajectory for the 165 in 308 is almost identical to the 180 in an 06, while the 180 in a 308 arcs more like a 200 or 220 fired from an 06. Enough difference to make me lean to the 165.

The .308's I had all worked very well with 46 gr. Varget and a 165 Partition or 165 Accubond. Load the COAL to 2.810" and your load work up is finished.
    Always work up your own load to your rifle.

I'd pick up a couple boxes of Federal Blue Box in 2 weights ($20 a box, approx). Probably 150s and 180s and see what it likes, most rifles shoot those surprisingly well. You can try 165s if you like as well.

As far as weight and trajectory, I think you'll be surprised. Out to 300yds they all shoot within 1.5" of each other and most guys can't hold that from a field position anyway. Out to 500yds there's only 6" difference- that's a way far poke for a .308 anyway.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have a friend who is loaded so money is no object. He hunts moose, elk and big Alberta whitetails all with the same 308 and 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt bullets. He knows his gun and is a good hunter...won't take a Texas heart shot. Works for him.

Yeah. If wasn't a reloader and couldn't find ammo loaded with Noslers, I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep using Core-Lokt. Probably still stick with the 165's rather than the 180, but that's my twitch. Next guy picking 180's is at least as smart as me, and most likely smarter. After all, 15 grains is only .002 ounces.

I rummaged through my ammo supply and found these to get the gun on target. I ran out of time and only shot the 150gr but they seemed to group good.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Yeah. If wasn't a reloader and couldn't find ammo loaded with Noslers, I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep using Core-Lokt. Probably still stick with the 165's rather than the 180, but that's my twitch. Next guy picking 180's is at least as smart as me, and most likely smarter. After all, 15 grains is only .002 ounces.
    I also lean to 180s in 308 but never liked the Core-lokt at all.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If you're not loading your own rounds, I suggest the Barnes VOR-TX. It will coast a couple bucks more, but it's a great bullet. I load my own rounds with the Barnes 168gr TTSX. I just got my first moose on opening day at 0615 with my M1A. After the cow went down I notice a bulge on the rib cage on the exit side. I cut the skin and there was my bullet with perfect copper flower petals. All the energy was dumped into the moose and no bullet weight loss. I've even pulled these bullets out of the sand & gravel back stops and they're still in one piece. Any bullet as going to kill your critter if shot correctly, but I'm a Barnes fan. Good luck with your new rifle.