Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: And the folks in Ohio are not happy....... Can't please everyone.

Default And the folks in Ohio are not happy....... Can't please everyone.

The Prez makes it official:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...nley-to-denali

Same as it's been for centuries. But the folks from the Buckeye State are bringing their torches and pitchforks to the White House. Not sure how it's playing in the Great Land but I can't imagine anyone would disagree with the decision.

Now we need to work on all the stellar critters.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Now Ohio is free to name the highest spot in Ohio Mt. McKinley.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    ROTFLMAO.......high spot....ohio.....

Flat is pee on a platter.....
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    That'd be Campbell Hill.... a mere 1549'...heck, I know guys with more elevation gain in their driveways..
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default I do!

The decision should be made by congress - not Obama!

Just another violation of the separation of powers that have unfortunately became all too commonplace in recent years as everyone tries to appease this and that minority group while ignoring the majority that are primarily responsible for this great land called the USA.

Regardless of what it should or shouldn't be named - that is NOT the way it should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    The Prez makes it official:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...nley-to-denali

Same as it's been for centuries. But the folks from the Buckeye State are bringing their torches and pitchforks to the White House. Not sure how it's playing in the Great Land but I can't imagine anyone would disagree with the decision.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

Just another violation of the separation of powers that have unfortunately became all too commonplace in recent years as everyone tries to appease this and that minority group while ignoring the majority that are primarily responsible for this great land called the USA.

Regardless of what it should or shouldn't be named - that is NOT the way it should be done.
    Yes but Alaska's congressional people couldn't get it done because the Ohio congressmen made sure the name couldn't be changed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denali...naming_dispute
    So now it is done.
    Regardless of how it happened it is the way it should be and is now officially Denali.
    Get over it. I don't like Obama or his policies anymore than the next guy but when he does something right for a change I'll take it and count my blessing for at least one good thing he did.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Congress did make the decision. In 1947 Congress decided to appropriate the power to name geographic features to the Secretary of Interior under certain conditions. To claim that this is some violation of separation of powers is to claim that Congress didn't approve this regulation, when in fact they did.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

politics aside, as an Alaskan, I don't really care what about the opinions of a few people in Ohio when it comes to things here in AK where most of those offended will never even visit.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Default An American Hero

President McKinley was an American hero who fought to defend the US in the Civil War and later killed while in the service of this country. To honor him is not just an Ohio thing- it is a national issue.

To dishonor him by renaming a land mark in the name of political correctness is a blow to all Americans. But this is the trend to bring down all of those leader who helped to make this country great.

Perhaps we will get a President in the future that will rename it back to Mt. McKinley and we can then listen to all the pissssing and moaning about that president not having to authority to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ADUKHNT View Post
    politics aside, as an Alaskan, I don't really care what about the opinions of a few people in Ohio when it comes to things here in AK where most of those offended will never even visit.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

President McKinley was an American hero who fought to defend the US in the Civil War and later killed while in the service of this country. To honor him is not just an Ohio thing- it is a national issue.

To dishonor him by renaming a land mark in the name of political correctness is a blow to all Americans. But this is the trend to bring down all of those leader who helped to make this country great.

Perhaps we will get a President in the future that will rename it back to Mt. McKinley and we can then listen to all the pissssing and moaning about that president not having to authority to do that.
    Did you watch the video hogfamily linked?
    The gal running the McKinley museum in Ohio said he was a mediocre president at best.
    He never even saw Alaska or did anything for Alaska.
    Why not name Ohio's highest place in his honor?
    I don't believe you give 2 about Alaska's native people or what they think anyway. But I do and the mountains name always was and always will be DENALI!!!
    Get over it. It's done.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Default Only the very best get remembered?

So by your logic only the best get remembered - the ordinary and "mediocre at best" men and women that died in the service of this country should be simply tossed aside and forgotten?

I'm sorry you feel that way - I strongly disagree!

The fact remain - President McKinley died in the service of this great country - not just Ohio - and deserves to be honored with something significant. To suggest a small hill in Ohio be named after him is a disgrace and insult to the memory of all Americans that died for their country.

This issue is not about Alaska - nor Ohio - nor Alaskan natives. It is all about remembering those that made the ultimate sacrifice for this great country. President McKinley was one of those that made that sacrifice and should be remembered - not insulted and disgraced in the name of political correctness.

A few folks in Ohio, and tvfinak are not happy....... Can't please everyone.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

On the lighter side, someone has started a online Whitehouse petition to rename Cambell Hill in Ohio.......Mount Sarah Palin

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-sarah-palin-3
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

The fact remain - President McKinley died in the service of this great country - not just Ohio - and deserves to be honored with something significant. To suggest a small hill in Ohio be named after him is a disgrace and insult to the memory of all Americans that died for their country.

This issue is not about Alaska - nor Ohio - nor Alaskan natives. It is all about remembering those that made the ultimate sacrifice for this great country.
    At the time the name "McKinley" was applied to Denali by a prospector, McKinley was neither a sitting president, nor had he died for his country. He was merely a presidential candidate from a very flat state in the midwest.

If you want to remember McKinley as a hero that's great, go build a monument to him somewhere. No need to disgrace and insult countless generations of native Alaskans by hijacking their mountain for the purpose. Plenty of Alaska Natives have given the ultimate sacrifice in service to this country. Where's your respect for them?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

So by your logic only the best get remembered - the ordinary and "mediocre at best" men and women that died in the service of this country should be simply tossed aside and forgotten?

I'm sorry you feel that way - I strongly disagree!

This issue is not about Alaska - nor Ohio - nor Alaskan natives. It is all about remembering those that made the ultimate sacrifice for this great country. President McKinley was one of those that made that sacrifice and should be remembered - not insulted and disgraced in the name of political correctness.
    Here in AK we name bridges after our fallen heroes. And these soldiers actually saw Alaska.
    I do honor and respect our veterans.
    What's next?
    Oh I know: Mount Susitna= Mount Obama? Mount Redoubt = Mount Clinton? Wait there were 7 presidents from Ohio so we have Mount Foraker= Mount Taft, Mount St. Elias =Mount Harrison, Mount Bona = mount Hayes ,Mount Blackburn = Mount Garfield ( the former president, not the cat).
    Every president gets a museum and Library. many get other things in their home state named after them.
    Iofthetaiga got it right for sure this time.
    For 10,000 years the Athabaskan people have called it Denali. What's wrong with that?

Default A hero is a hero..

The mountain was named after an American that was killed while in the service of his country. That is fact and history - no getting around it. To me anyone that dies in the honorable service of this country is a HERO. You apparently feel otherwise - but I'm really not surprised.

If you want to play up the fact that he was from Ohio please remember that hundred of thousands of men from Ohio have died to keep this country free so that the Alaskan Natives and all Americans could have the wonderful lives we enjoy today. If hadn't been for the people of Ohio and a few other states the South may have won the Civil War and Alaska would still be part of Russia.

As to sacrifices - I would bet more soldiers from Ohio lost their lives in one day than all the natives killed in service to their country of you want to compare numbers.

We have honored the Alaskan Natives - the park was named Denali if you recall.

I guess we going to rename Seward next because he was an evil white guy and a mediocre Secretary of State? I'm sure the natives had some name for the spot or they can make on up.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    At the time the name "McKinley" was applied to Denali by a prospector, McKinley was neither a sitting president, nor had he died for his country. He was merely a presidential candidate from a very flat state in the midwest.

If you want to remember McKinley as a hero that's great, go build a monument to him somewhere. No need to disgrace and insult countless generations of native Alaskans by hijacking their mountain for the purpose. Plenty of Alaska Natives have given the ultimate sacrifice in service to this country. Where's your respect for them?

The mountain was named after an American that was killed while in the service of his country. That is fact and history - no getting around it. To me anyone that dies in the honorable service of this country is a HERO. You apparently feel otherwise - but I'm really not surprised.
    My Father was a hero. You sound like a bitter, resentful guy...from a very flat state.
    #Resist

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

So why not name something in Ohio McKinley?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast