Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: McKinley Name Change

  1. #1

    Default McKinley Name Change

    I wasn't sure where to put this thread.

    How do you feel about the Mt McKinley name change to Denali?

  2. #2
    Member hogfamily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    The original name of the mtn is Denali.

    IMHO it was a grandstand move by the pres.

  3. #3
    Member bobmikk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    359

    Default

    He is the consummate politician...

    So now Ohio is upset by the name change. However, McKinley had no ties to Alaska, never visited there... just was named after him by a gold miner. Should never have been changed from its original name.

  4. #4

    Default

    In 10 years they'll want to name her Mount Obama. So worried about his "legacy".

  5. #5
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Its a shame it took this long to happen, and doubly shameful that Obama will take credit for something he had little or nothing to do with.

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Legislation to change the name has been before congress for what, 40 years? Frankly, I couldn't care less if the current president gets some credit for this. Heck, he should. Bush, Reagan, Clinton...none of them took action. Alaska has been asking for this for decades and it finally happened. Frankly, it was the right decision and should be lauded. To complain because of the person who authorized the move by the secretary of interior is ridiculous.

  7. #7
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowchaser View Post
    How do you feel about the Mt McKinley name change to Denali?
    It's about **** time.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  8. #8
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Almost every session of Congress over the last 50 years has had a bill to make the name Denali. Every session the folks from Ohio say no......me being a U of M fan and all.......boo Hoo ohio......Denali is its name......
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  9. #9
    Member akhunter3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Everyone here seems to call it Denali anyway, never really understood why it was such a big deal. Easy way to tell how long you've lived here.
    Big deal? No. Is it neat? Sure.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

  10. #10
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    A long time coming!
    IIRC it was a certain Ohio congressman who submitted a bill each year that made the name change not possible by some weird congressional rule.
    Apparently Ohio doesn't have anything really noteworthy to their credit so they cling to what little they do have.
    Whenever I hear somebody use the name Mt. McKinley I always pretend I don't know what they are talking about then ask them if they mean Denali.
    Presidential grandstanding to appease the Alaska native peoples? I'm sure of it.
    But as Brian said at least he got it done.
    As was said Mt. McKinley wasn't really a meaningful name anyway.
    So I wholeheartedly support this regardless of how and by whom it was done.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  11. #11

    Default

    I heard about it for the first time last night. They have been saying that Obama was going to be the first President to visit Alaska.
    Then all of a sudden they say that Obama is going to change the name. They didn't give any background info. So honestly, the first thing
    to enter my mind is that he has just visited for the first time and is changing names of places. Then another story came out how some woman in gov worked on the change. (Can't remember her name.) Then another version came out with the background information about Denali being the
    original name. But then it was obvious that Obama was trying to take the credit for it.

    I currently live in an area with original native Indian names. I find it much more interesting. But I'm sure the mountain doesn't care what it's called.
    It is what it is no matter what people want to call it.

  12. #12
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowchaser View Post
    I currently live in an area with original native Indian names. I find it much more interesting. But I'm sure the mountain doesn't care what it's called.
    It is what it is no matter what people want to call it.
    Sure but for the people who live within sight of the mountain it does mean something.
    I don't care what the mountain thinks but I do care what the tribal elders think.
    Especially when you consider that McKinley himself had no ties to Alaska or the mountain itself.
    Had he been the first to climb it or created Denali national park or something then maybe it would make sense.
    The Alaska people know what the mountain is called. They know what Denali Means.
    It's almost as if somebody changed the name of the street you lived on for 20 years for no apparent reason and you had to live with it.
    Just isn't right to call it something else other than Denali. Especially when it sits in Denali national park not Mt. McKinley national park.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  13. #13
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    After looking at "the google" it appears that he actually moved the name change forward. If so, then I was mistaken. I was under the impression that it had been voted on in congress (like it should have been?) and all he did was rubberstamp something he had nothing to do with besides the photo op.

    Nonetheless, his trip here is little more than grandstanding, pandering to a small portion of our population, and rubbing it in the face of the rest of us, IMO. Appearing on a "reality" TV show? pfffft..

    Everything aside, it is a no brainer that it be called Denali. Anyone with any perspective on the place they live already call it that. I am like Kasilof....I usually correct anyone who calls it McKinley, since I pretty much assume they are a tourist.

  14. #14
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    To complain because of the person who authorized the move by the secretary of interior is ridiculous.
    It's the timing. He's a narcissist and did it to get attention and gain approval. It's pathetic. It could have been done three years ago. It's a joke to do it right before he comes to preach about global climate bs.

    What he said (below) is spot-on.

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Nonetheless, his trip here is little more than grandstanding, pandering to a small portion of our population, and rubbing it in the face of the rest of us, IMO. Appearing on a "reality" TV show? pfffft..

    Everything aside, it is a no brainer that it be called Denali. Anyone with any perspective on the place they live already call it that. I am like Kasilof....I usually correct anyone who calls it McKinley, since I pretty much assume they are a tourist.

  15. #15
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Oh, for crying out loud... Every single president has made politically-timed announcements, appointments, and executive proclamations. Every...single...one. I get that people don't like his policies, and neither do I for the most part. Criticisms of the timing fall flat, though, as it is exclusively from people who make it about the man, not the action. Every president from George Washington on down has made similarly timed moves. Regardless, it was the right decision. At least this president had the balls to do it.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Oh, for crying out loud... Every single president has made politically-timed announcements, appointments, and executive proclamations. Every...single...one. I get that people don't like his policies, and neither do I for the most part. Criticisms of the timing fall flat, though, as it is exclusively from people who make it about the man, not the action. Every president from George Washington on down has made similarly timed moves. Regardless, it was the right decision. At least this president had the balls to do it.
    Yes...........
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

  17. #17
    Member sharps5090's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Legislation to change the name has been before congress for what, 40 years? Frankly, I couldn't care less if the current president gets some credit for this. Heck, he should. Bush, Reagan, Clinton...none of them took action. Alaska has been asking for this for decades and it finally happened. Frankly, it was the right decision and should be lauded. To complain because of the person who authorized the move by the secretary of interior is ridiculous.
    BS....It may be the thing to do, But the reason that past presidents took no action is that the President has no authority to change a street name never mind a mountian. But I guess a King is able to.

  18. #18
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharps5090 View Post
    BS....It may be the thing to do, But the reason that past presidents took no action is that the President has no authority to change a street name never mind a mountian. But I guess a King is able to.
    Wrong. Well...technically the right to do so rests with the Secretary of Interior. Past presidents could have ordered or allowed their secretary of interior to do. Perhaps you could argue that such an authority shouldn't rest with the executive branch, but it does by law.

  19. #19
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sharps5090 View Post
    BS....It may be the thing to do, But the reason that past presidents took no action is that the President has no authority to change a street name never mind a mountian. But I guess a King is able to.
    Executive orders...... W. had some right before he left. He set aside millions of acres of land/sea that he didn't need congress for. Now did people call him king george?
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

    Edwin Hubble

  20. #20
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •