Thread: Reloading for 454 Casull

Default Reloading for 454 Casull

I've finally just gotten underway reloading 45LC and thinking ahead about reloading for 454 Casull. I have a Ruger SRH Toklat. I'm looking to start out with very mild loads for plinking at the range. I already have Unique powder so I thought I would use some of that unless its not a good idea.

The Lyman 49th shows Unique matched up with a 255 gr SWC (14.7gr -15.5 gr Unique) and a 325 gr FN (11.3gr - 12.6gr Unique) bullets. How would the Cast Performance 325 gr FN bullet work:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911546/cast-performance-bullets-45-caliber-452-diameter-325-grain-lead-long-flat-nose-box-of-100?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Any suggestions for mild loads would be appreciated.

If you're looking for mild loads, I'd stick with the 250 gr bullets and ~10 grs of unique in the 45 colt cases.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I ordered some 315 grain flat-nose, gas-check bullets from Matt's Bullets. How do I go about determining how many grains of Unique to use with this bullet?

My Lymans 49th Edition shows 11.3 starting grains of Unique with a 325 gr (linotype) lead bullet (#452651). That yields a velocity of 1,103 and pressure of 38,300. Should I back off the 11.3 grains by 4% (315 grains vs 325 grains) and use 10.9 grains?

I have both 250 grain RNFP and 255 grain SWC (both are .452 diameter) but neither are gas checked. I've been using these to reload in my 45LC cases. I would like to try using the 454 Casull cases and maybe wrongfully assumed I needed for the bullet to be GC because it would be motoring along faster than 1,000 fps. This is a good example where no experience, and a nano-speck of knowledge can get me in trouble.

There is no magic number where you suddenly need gas checks. The factors that lead to leading are a combination of bullet sizing, bullet hardness, lube, barrel twist, peak pressure. I've shot 1000's of plain based cast bullets over 1200 fps from various revolvers with no appreciable leading.

The 454 casull when operating at peak pressures is certainly a round where gas checks are needed, but not so with mild to mid range loads.

As far as what charge weight of unique to use, what are you trying to achieve with the load? If you're looking for maximum velocity, then I'd recommend going with H-110. If you're looking for an accurate mid range load my approach would be to start at 9 gr and work up in 1/2 gr increments to 11 gr to see what is the most accurate load. My experience with Unique in the 45 colt and 480 Ruger with similar weight bullets is it seems to have a sweet spot at around the 10 gr charge weight that produces extremely accurate loads.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks Paul.

My ultimate objective is to be able to shoot a dozen or so warm 454 rounds at the range whenever I go. My plan to get there is to start out reloading mild rounds in my 454 cases then working up gradually. I've done that with the 45LC and it's worked out well.

You know far better than me that a 454 round can be a handful. I want to develop better revolver-handling techniques with each round I shoot and the nuclear 454 rounds will only teach me to flinch if I start out with them.

I'll begin with 9 grains and move up from there. Thanks again!

If you can get some HS6, 13-14 grains under that 325 will be just about what you are looking for. I rarely ever shoot full power 454 loads any more, I get just as much if not more penetration with my 340gr LBT bullets I cast when loaded to 12-1300 fps as I do when I push them to 1500 fps. I don't shoot a handgun good enough to take 150-200 yard shots on unwounded game, so I don't need the "flatter" trajectory. My hunting load is a 340gr WFNPB over 22 grains of 2400 in Starline 454 cases with a Magnum small rifle primer, easy shooting in my FA 454, but is quite the hammer.