Thread: Winchester Model 70 SS Extreme Weather

Default Winchester Model 70 SS Extreme Weather

I'm thinking of purchasing a Model 70 EW and have been trying read as much about them online as I can. They all seem to get good reviews, but quite a few people have complained about the stock being too thick in the grip and wrist area and a bit uncomfortable.
    I've also heard some people say that the short action length seems to be a little bit thinner and therefore more comfortable compared to a medium/long action. I've also searched these forums and see quite a few own one.
    I'm looking to get one in either .308 or .30-06. I'd likely go with the latter if the stock feels the same, or I'll go with the .308 if the stock is in fact a slimmer profile.
    Can anyone here tell me about the EW stock profile and if they find it too thick and if it's true that the short action feels thinner?
    Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck View Post
    I'm thinking of purchasing a Model 70 EW and have been trying read as much about them online as I can. They all seem to get good reviews, but quite a few people have complained about the stock being too thick in the grip and wrist area and a bit uncomfortable.
    I've also heard some people say that the short action length seems to be a little bit thinner and therefore more comfortable compared to a medium/long action. I've also searched these forums and see quite a few own one.
    I'm looking to get one in either .308 or .30-06. I'd likely go with the latter if the stock feels the same, or I'll go with the .308 if the stock is in fact a slimmer profile.
    Can anyone here tell me about the EW stock profile and if they find it too thick and if it's true that the short action feels thinner?
    Thanks for your help!
    The M70 EW comes with a Bell and Carson stock with an aluminum bedding block. They are thicker through the wrist than a lot of other stocks. I've had a B&C on a couple of other rifles and they are too thick for my taste. Action length won't really change it. I tend to prefer a narrow forend and thinner wrist.

If you shoulder one you'll know in 60 seconds if you'll like it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck View Post
    Thanks for your help!
    The new B&C stocks on the Extreme Weather are different than the OG one's. They are smaller and have the spider web paint on them.

Forgot to add, that if you are worried about the stock, then I would just get a Kimber Montana and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The new B&C stocks on the Extreme Weather are different than the OG one's. They are smaller and have the spider web paint on them.
    yeah, I got a cz 9.3 carbine with a bell and carlson, and it doesn't seem overly thick in the grip, or at the balance point. I got skinny Indian fingers, and don't seem to have issues with it, except it isn't walnut. It sure isn't as nice to carry as the slim receivered 1895 browning, you can touch the tip of your thumb to your fingers when carrying at the balance point. On bolt guns, I usually carry the rifle by the scope tube, it's about the most comfortable way to carry these chunky monkeys, IMO

Have you considered looking at the Tikka T3 superlite? I couldn't decide between the two for a while but ended up going with the Tikka. I couldn't be happier. Just an idea...

I have a m70 EW in 300wm and love it. The (pistol grip) is a bit thick but I have larger hands and it's actually very comfortable to me. I'll never get rid of this one... Until its time to pass it to my son.