Thread: 2007 Honda Recon 250 electrical issue

Default 2007 Honda Recon 250 electrical issue

My wife has a 2007 Honda Recon 250 (manual shift). A few months ago it wouldn't start. Did some troubleshooting, and the rectifier failed a continuity check. I replaced that, and it worked great all summer. Last weekend it happened again. No solenoid click or anything when she presses the start button. Still starts fine with the recoil starter, so not a huge problem, but I'd like to figure out what is going on before I spend the money on another rectifier.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

You might check your battery for water. Then check your rectifier again. A dry battery could cause excessive current draw on the rectifier and cause it to fail.

Battery is good (voltage, load test, & water level).

I'm guessing I have an intermittent electrical issue that I was hoping might be common enough that someone else would've encountered it.
    James Madison

Turns out it is the dreaded "intermittent electrical problem." Just for the hell of it, I tried the starter button last weekend when we were camping after she'd been riding for awhile. It worked....once. Tried several more times throughout the weekend with no success.
    James Madison

It's very common for a starter to become intermittent because of water getting into it. Have someone press the start button and you tap the starter with a hammer or put a test light or voltmeter across the solenoid terminals to see if you have voltage.