Thread: Moose Hunting yentna river

Default Moose Hunting yentna river

Any of you have an tips trying to find Bulls on the yentna. We have any bull tags and went all the way to skwentna with no luck
    "Bearly Wounded" 18' Alaska Airboat, LS3 counter rotator. And a bit of a light problem.

The only time I hunted the Yentna I was surprised by the large quantity of aircraft obviously spotting for boats. After unsuccessfully cruising the river for three days wasting gas, we were successful by finding a large open swamp and spent three days there calling until a bull showed up.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

As stated get off the river and Google the area so you can find the swamps or open meadows you could give twenty mile slough a go at it hope this helps good luck
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

What area of the Yentna were you focused on?

Yes get off the river, the moose notice the increase of activity and tend to head away a few miles. Just my theory. My experience has been below the big bend the east side has more bulls, and is easier to hunt because you have small hills you can get on top of in areas and call them up the little draws. Upriver of the big bend 20 mile and the kahiltna swamps are where my luck have also been. Last weekend I noticed A LOT of air support going on.