Thread: Yentna river moose Hunting

Default Yentna river moose Hunting

Any of you have an tips trying to find Bulls on the yentna. We have any bull tags and went all the way to skwentna with no luck.
    "Bearly Wounded" 18' Alaska Airboat, LS3 counter rotator. And a bit of a light problem.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Best bet is air support. Last year when we hunted that area we started with general locations on about 4 different bulls that we had gotten from a friend who had flown the area. The info was days old but at least it was a start. Of course in the end we just got lucky and got a bull right on the river, but we wouldn't have been there without the prior information. We were down on the lower end of Alexander Creek.

With an airboat I would certainly be looking for ways to get off the main river and into the swamps or at least some of the slews. Maybe try the Twenty Mile Slough area. Or try Alexander Creek itself. You may be able to get up into Alexander Lake and the swamps in that area.

I ended up feeling like hunting the river was like hunting off an interstate highway. Sure, we had fantastic access up and down the river but the banks are miles and miles of trees just like the fences along the highway, but a lot harder to see through.

I actually have the same any bull permit this year but didn't have anybody have decided to go to Chicken

Our cabin is off the river by a few miles and the moose every year leave the river area in a mass exodus during hunting season, best bet would be getting in the side sloughs and not making any noise. Getting away from all the main hunting camps and such. 20 mile, and the sloughs near the mouth of the kahiltna are good spots for an airboat now because the water is real skinny. Also kroto slough is worth checking out, had a friend get one last year with an airboat in there during the middle of the day.

[QUOTE=fishhook57;1500439]Our cabin is off the river by a few miles and the moose every year leave the river area in a mass exodus during hunting season, best bet would be getting in the side sloughs and not making any noise.

With an airboat? Good luck on the noise part! And please don't take Alexander Creek because the residents here are fed up with airboats and their terrible ethics. Do you guys realize what them airboats do to salmon spawning areas when the water is shallow? Air boats have their use for sure but how come We only see the ones with jerks operating them?

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    Best bet is air support. Last year when we hunted that area we started with general locations on about 4 different bulls that we had gotten from a friend who had flown the area. The info was days old but at least it was a start. Of course in the end we just got lucky and got a bull right on the river, but we wouldn't have been there without the prior information. We were down on the lower end of Alexander Creek.

With an airboat I would certainly be looking for ways to get off the main river and into the swamps or at least some of the slews. Maybe try the Twenty Mile Slough area. Or try Alexander Creek itself. You may be able to get up into Alexander Lake and the swamps in that area.

I ended up feeling like hunting the river was like hunting off an interstate highway. Sure, we had fantastic access up and down the river but the banks are miles and miles of trees just like the fences along the highway, but a lot harder to see through.
    I actually have the same any bull permit this year but didn't have anybody have decided to go to Chicken

Great hunting ethics! Air support Isn't hunting as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully you didn't tresspass since the first five miles of Alexander creek is a private land. Did you do any research on private land or did you just get your pilot buddy to tell you where your moose was?

Whoops sorry I forgot to stick in the part of setting up camp and being quiet. My theory on the moose leaving the riversides is the increased human activity and mostly noise of hunting camps. Lots of the guys hunting the river have no idea how to keep quiet and you can hear there radio blaring and their beer cans popping all night.

Killing moose there isn't hard, keep practicing, hunt lower river

what part of lower?
    "Bearly Wounded" 18' Alaska Airboat, LS3 counter rotator. And a bit of a light problem.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Yes sir, I did know that there is a lot of private property on the first few miles of Alexander Creek. But as near as we could tell by GPS we were about a mile down river from the mouth of Alexander Creek and from looking at the borough maps, didn't think there was any private property in that area.

That trip was the fourth time I've in the Alexander Creek area and the first time hunting. I was there a couple of times when there was still a king season and once in the winter to help a friend bring a little dozer in to his cabin that he later used it to build an air strip.

As far as air support for hunting not being ethical I guess I'll have to think on that awhile. Yes, I had locations on 4 bulls on the river between Skwentna and the inlet. All of them were at least a half mile from the river and we had no way to know what the terrain was like except for what we could see on google earth. All the location information we had was at least 3 days old so its kinda hard to think we had too much of an advantage. I've been in Alaska just over 15 years now and I thought it was some kinda time honored tradition to get some help from the air given the vastness of most areas that we hunt in.

We had a week to hunt and planned to set up camp and then do the calling and walking and calling but, like I said, we got lucky and had a short hunt.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I wasn't aware that airboats tore up any thing on the water especially spawning habitat. Guess it's another thing to check into.

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    Yes sir, I did know that there is a lot of private property on the first few miles of Alexander Creek. But as near as we could tell by GPS we were about a mile down river from the mouth of Alexander Creek and from looking at the borough maps, didn't think there was any private property in that area.

That trip was the fourth time I've in the Alexander Creek area and the first time hunting. I was there a couple of times when there was still a king season and once in the winter to help a friend bring a little dozer in to his cabin that he later used it to build an air strip.

As far as air support for hunting not being ethical I guess I'll have to think on that awhile. Yes, I had locations on 4 bulls on the river between Skwentna and the inlet. All of them were at least a half mile from the river and we had no way to know what the terrain was like except for what we could see on google earth. All the location information we had was at least 3 days old so its kinda hard to think we had too much of an advantage. I've been in Alaska just over 15 years now and I thought it was some kinda time honored tradition to get some help from the air given the vastness of most areas that we hunt in.

We had a week to hunt and planned to set up camp and then do the calling and walking and calling but, like I said, we got lucky and had a short hunt.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I wasn't aware that airboats tore up any thing on the water especially spawning habitat. Guess it's another thing to check into.

Sorry if I singled you out, just frustrated with the jerks that do give air boating a bad name. If you come to the creek I live in the first house on the east side up from the mouth. It's a yellow hose so you can't miss it. Stop in and say hi!

Mike

Just remember though, jerks do come in multiple forms though. Jet, prop, atv, snowmachine, airplane, truck you name it. It just sucks that, as always, it just takes one to ruin it for the rest of us who actually are respectful, decent people who are just trying to enjoy this state and what it has to offer like everyone else. Sorry for those certain few airboaters that have left the sour taste. I for one hope I'm never that guy. But then again, can't make everyone happy.

Lower river is pretty much everything from mouth of kahiltna to the mouth, but usually is below the big bend. There is lots of private property on the east side, so bring property maps or hunt the west side which usually has less property and my experience is the west side also has more bulls too. Seems like people dont like the hilly terrain on the west side but my family has pulled more moose from the west than the east. And our cabin is on the east side too. From tier 11 hunting in the winter the moose seem to be more dense between alexander creek and the yetna (lower 5-6 miles too). And also in the fall season too at least from my experience. Ive heard and seen lots of pictures of huge ones taken out right at the bottom of the mountains (beluga and susitna). If I remember right I believe there has been a record one pulled out from the base of mt. susitna. The side slough right above the fish and game camp on the east side(6.5 miles), has quick access to a large swamp network. Also is only a 3 mile walk to alexander creek and the mouth of sucker creek.