Thread: Take an OLD MAN hunting.

Default Take an OLD MAN hunting.

In response to another thread. It's tough to find a hunting partner to go out with as you get older. The young bucks just don't seem all that interested, and the old guys start backing out, complaining of all kinds of ailments. The younger crowd is addicted to social media, football, and Nascar to the point you can hardly get their attention. let alone get them into the outdoors.
    If you are a younger fella who enjoys hunting, or want to learn. look to the older guys and discover the joys of hunting.
    We have the gear. Lots of it. Knowledge. Patience (usually) Time, etc. We know how to blood trail, and will teach you. We will get out of bed in the morning (sometimes not moving so fast, but we'll be ready by daylight) If you have a question, or even lots of them, we probably have an answer. We might tell you the same stories more than once, but hey, they are our stories and experiences and we sure do remember them well.
    Read some Patrick McManus. Especially the one about choosing your 'old man' wisely. It would be good to have some McManus quotes ready at a moments notice, because we have all read him a lot, and did things much like he did growing up.
    If it wasn't for my son, I would be out there by myself, or likely not going at all a lot of the time.
    Kid get cold. Old man says, "Hey Bub, I ever show you how to make a fire?" Waves his hands over the ground, break a few sticks. Strikes a wooden match with his thumbnail. A few minutes later they are standing over a nice fire. That's McManus, and that's hunting with an old man.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I'd give a lot to be able to take my grandpa out hunting again. I love all the old stories about the old days and listening to his hunting stories. Sadly he pass about ten years ago but the things he thought me are still used today.
    I agree take an old man hunting, his body may not be able to do what it used to and you may have to carry more load but some day God willing it'll be us that are old and hoping to go afield one more time. It's going to happen to all of where we pick up our gear and head out for the last time. My dad dosnt carry as much as he used to and as long as I'm here and he's willing I'll be happy to carry his load just to have him there with me. I remember him carrying me more than once so I could be with him. Now it's my turn to return the favor..

Good post smokeross

Living like kings

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I'd give a lot to be able to take my grandpa out hunting again. I love all the old stories about the old days and listening to his hunting stories. Sadly he pass about ten years ago but the things he thought me are still used today.
    I agree take an old man hunting, his body may not be able to do what it used to and you may have to carry more load but some day God willing it'll be us that are old and hoping to go afield one more time. It's going to happen to all of where we pick up our gear and head out for the last time. My dad dosnt carry as much as he used to and as long as I'm here and he's willing I'll be happy to carry his load just to have him there with me. I remember him carrying me more than once so I could be with him. Now it's my turn to return the favor..

Good post smokeross

Living like kings
    I hate to think of the day when I go afield for the last time. I hope it is many years down the road. My dad is 89 tomorrow, and he still does it. He gets plenty of help from the younger guys, some in there 60's and some way younger. But he helps the youngsters a lot. I saw him guide a 12 y.o. to a really nice buck down in Wa. state last winter.

Amen to this. My grandpa has been my best resource for hunting knowledge. I'll apply a lot of what he shared for as long as I'm here hunting. Nothing wrong with hearing the same story more than once. He had some I heard every year around the campfire but they never got old. I usually find the old guys are more willing to let the young guys shoot. Go with a guy your own age and it can be tricky as who's the first shooter. Hard to beat the bonding that comes with sneaking through the woods looking for critters.

Take an old man hunting??

How about this...Old men ...Find a 20 year old and take him/her out hunting! All of us have so much to learn from our elders when it comes to How To Do It that there needs to be a course offered along with hunter safety.

When I moved to Kotzebue 15 years ago the best teacher I found was not other teachers but the old native guys. I sat on a ridge with a preacher from the village of Noatak for about 3 hours watching a sea of caribou work its way across the ridge line down to the river and learned more in that afternoon that can be written. The old guy only spoke a few words but what he imparted was gold.

My favorite old guy quote cane when we were trying to get up on to some nice bulls and ran into a huge 58+ inch bull moose. His comment was...Do you see your boat? If you can't see your boat your too far from the river to pack a moose that large. So true!

Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Take an old man hunting??

How about this...Old men ...Find a 20 year old and take him/her out hunting! All of us have so much to learn from our elders when it comes to How To Do It that there needs to be a course offered along with hunter safety.

When I moved to Kotzebue 15 years ago the best teacher I found was not other teachers but the old native guys. I sat on a ridge with a preacher from the village of Noatak for about 3 hours watching a sea of caribou work its way across the ridge line down to the river and learned more in that afternoon that can be written. The old guy only spoke a few words but what he imparted was gold.

My favorite old guy quote cane when we were trying to get up on to some nice bulls and ran into a huge 58+ inch bull moose. His comment was...Do you see your boat? If you can't see your boat your too far from the river to pack a moose that large. So true!

Walt
    Nice bull Walt. Glad you enjoyed hunting with and learning from your Elders.

My grandpa taught me much and has been gone since 75.Was Lucky and found a couple other old men. Problem today is lots of old men and no old times kids.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    My dad is 89 tomorrow, and he still does it.
    Now that's somethin' special right there...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

What?? Did someone pee in your coffee this morning? Should I have said form our Sr. Citizens? In Bush Alaska the term Elder is a general term used to describe all people who are older than we are? What is your point cheechako?

Interesting thread, it's taken me 8 years to harvest a big game animal in Alaska. Some of that is because I'm out of shape, some of that is because trout and steelhead fishing gets really good right about now and some of that is because there hasn't been any old men in my life. Grandpa on my moms side died before I was born, complications of WWII and Korea injuries, my dads father I only met once when I was about 3. I have had a chance to glean a little from a few uncles.

Seems the old guys I work with have given up hunting or have their own kids to teach.

I do look forward to teaching my own children someday, guess I better keep learning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about this...Old men ...Find a 20 year old and take him/her out hunting! All of us have so much to learn from our elders
    I'm that 20 some year old... tried this last moose season and it didn't turn out as I had planned. We didn't even make it to the hunting grounds

A person does not need to be fit to hunt. One does need to step off the road at the first sign of a game trail and follow it some. While walking look for the best place to set not more than twenty five yards from the trail on both sides. The next day before light go set in the spot with best wind in your face and watch till just after sundown. Do this two or three days in a row and if you see nothing fine a different trail and repeat. You should not have to be more than a hundred yards from the road. Once you have sit a wait hunting down move on to still hunting where you walk twenty yards and sit and watch some more through the day. I figure I watch a couple hundred critters for every one I shoot probably even more. Let a critter on the trail pass you then after a minute or two see how close you can get to it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have had to learn most of my hunting and trapping on my own over the years and found great value when I could pick up info from someone that had more experience. I really enjoy it now when I can pass info along to younger outdoors men and women... Lots of shortcuts that can make any trip more enjoyable!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I owe you an apology! I took your "Nice Bull" way wrong!! I thought your wee saying Bull $h&% so me very bad and sorry for being a Dumass.

Walt

I owe you an apology! I took your "Nice Bull" way wrong!! I thought your wee saying Bull $h&% so me very bad and sorry for being a Dumass.

Walt
    Happens to everyone now and then. No harm done.

I've hunted moose with my Dad going back to the early 90's. He'll miss camp this year due to some health issues, and he will certainly be missed in camp. A couple of my all time favorite hunting pictures, my dad with his most recent moose when he was 75, and a picture later that evening that encapsulates the joy of hunting, "it never gets old" said the old man.

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Pat, I know your dad better than I know you. He worked with me at YKSD for five years and nobody worked harder to keep the schools going than he.
    Very old school but always warm with a grand sense of humor.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Can I go hunting with this guy?

Tlingitwarrior, sorry to hear that your dad won't be making it to camp this year, I can sympathize because I am still lucky enough to be able to hunt with my dad most of the time and I hate to think about the day when that isn't the case. I know this is off topic for this thread, but my curiosity has gotten the best of me. What kind of vehicle is that behind your dad in the photo you posted?

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    A couple of my all time favorite hunting pictures, my dad with his most recent moose when he was 75...

I love it...!!! At 59 it sure does inspire me when I'm feelin' "old"...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!