Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Household items through Canada

Lightbulb Household items through Canada

Hello I will be driving from Pulaski, Pa to Fairbanks middle of September next year and was wondering what exactly do you pay duties on when crossing into Canada and going back into the us? I will be bringing with me a bunch of stuff. Anything thing I should add/take away? Still in the progress of adding to it of course. I did not include my clothes or boots either. I will be building a tool box and emergency kit for my truck.
    Along with getting 2 5 gallon gas cans and 2 more spares any help will be appreciated

2 wedges
    1 Claw hammer
    1 box Hand drill bits
    1 Hand Grain mill
    1 Knife sharpener
    2 hand drills
    1 Hand plane
    1 hatchet
    1 Mig welder pliers
    100 6011 welding rods
    1 Hand meat grinder
    24 Cast iron skillets
    1 Small aluminum pan
    1 Military mess kit
    1 canteen
    1 Can opener
    1 Dutch open
    1 Spice container
    2 Salt pepper shaker
    3 agoya
    3 Aluminum foil
    2 Cling wrap
    2lbs Canning and pickling salt
    2lbs Tender quick
    1lb Sea salt
    Lots of matches
    A large seed vault
    1 3x3 Gauze pads 25
    1 2x2 Gauze pads 25
    2 4.5inx 4 yard Bandage roll 1
    2 bottle ibuprofen 500 pills
    1 bottle Excedrin migraine 200 pills
    1 tube Anti-bacterial cream 1
    2 4inx2yard Bandage roll 1
    3 4inx4in Gauze pads 25
    1 band aid 60
    1 large Adhesive pads 10
    1 assorted Band aid 100
    1 5x9in Surgical dressing 12
    1 Regular Sheer strips 80
    1 regular Band aid 40
    1 4inx4.1yard Gauze pads 1
    2 Bottle fishmox 500
    2 tubes Antifungal cream 1
    1 mask 20
    2 bottle Hydrogen peroxide 1
    1 Small Surgical kit
    1 3x4 Nonstick gauze oad 10
    1 small Instant cold pack 1
    1 medium Elastic bandage 1
    1 440rd 762x 54r

Everything should be good, I would double check on the ammo. The only thing I've heard of duty pay on is booze. Don't even try to bring a hand gun or as slut style rifle. I've made the trip 2 times with household goods and never had any real issues. Good luck

Ohh and depending on what time of year you plan on driving up I would probably bring some more gas. 1/2 the stations close after October time frame

Quote Originally Posted by AKFISHRIPPER View Post
    Don't even try to bring a hand gun
    Why not?

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

They're very strict

Look at the government travel website

Look at the government travel website
    Most handguns with a barrel length longer than 4 inches are permitted through Canada.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

They're permitted but when they find a handgun, hangun ammo, or " assult rifle" related stuff they completely search ur vehicle which consists of them tearing everything apart and then making you repack it all. Just not a fun experience

I've had buddies have completely loaded U-Hauls stripped searched and then they had to repack it all again just because of handgun ammo

They're permitted but when they find a handgun, hangun ammo, or " assult rifle" related stuff they completely search ur vehicle which consists of them tearing everything apart and then making you repack it all. Just not a fun experience
    Ok, I'll agree with your earlier statement, with addendum: If you're not smart enough to figure out the rules in advance, have the proper form completed, and properly declare your weapons at the border "DON'T EVEN TRY TO BRING A HANDGUN", or any other type of gun, or ammunition for that matter.

If you're not smart enough to follow the rules as a guest in another country, you deserve to be searched.

Otherwise, it's not really any big deal.
    #Resist

Thank you I am not old enough to purchase a handgun anyway so that I wont be a problem. I will make sure I do not have any modern sporting rifle stuff intermixed. would there be any problems with bayonets? I have 3 I would like to bring with me I read that certain knifes over a certain length were not allowed? does anyone know the cutoff? I am working on getting a truck that is better on gas my current chevy only gets 10 to the gallon. how much gas should I have? is there a form for ammo? I thought I could have 5oo rds for personal use?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak47nutter View Post
    Thank you I am not old enough to purchase a handgun anyway so that I wont be a problem. I will make sure I do not have any modern sporting rifle stuff intermixed. would there be any problems with bayonets? I have 3 I would like to bring with me I read that certain knifes over a certain length were not allowed? does anyone know the cutoff? I am working on getting a truck that is better on gas my current chevy only gets 10 to the gallon. how much gas should I have? is there a form for ammo? I thought I could have 5oo rds for personal use?
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html

http://www.wainwright.army.mil/65eod...h%20canada.pdf
    #Resist

The last few times I traveled through, the U.S. guys wanted form 4457 filled out too. They've hassled me when I've blown it off. I've never had a bit of trouble with the Canadians tho. Just make sure to have your act together. If you have any questions about the rules, call them and inquire before you drive to the border. The rules are always evolving, on both sides of the line.
    #Resist

I will second what Iofthetaiga has stated if you have your act together coming to the CP they do not normally hassle you. Rule of thumb is no pistols, military assault rifles and or short barreled shot guns. Up to 5k or 6k of ammo. What has helped me in the past was having a list made up of what firearms I am bring I.E. make, model, cal barrel length ready to show the agent.
    As for duty fee the only thing I have had to pay was one form the firearms..... there maybe others that I am not a wear of.

If your traveling later into Sept /Oct carry as much extra fuel as you can. My last trip out was Feb and I carried 80gals other than what is in the tank of my dodge diesel. That is just me with carrying that much extra I can get almost out of the country before I have to refuel.
    Good luck on the trip

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Thats right no handguns of any kind are permitted through canada. Even if you have concealed carry permit they wont allow any kind of handgun. I have driven from states to Ak 8 times, any ammo is allowed including pistol ammo. But from experience i can assure you if you have any pistol ammo they will search your truck and trailer and wont believe you that theres no handgun onboard. I have brought pistol ammo across but they will rip open every box and duffel bag you have to search. They will rip out all kind of clothes and whatever and will not put it back in. If you have any other firearm it cost $20 and that is for all your firearms, not $20 each. Otherwise they dont charge for anything. I have crossed and no problem and also have been very upset at them. If they do find a handgun they will confiscate you vechile so do not try an sneak one across. If they do search for the most part they are not very nice and will leave your trailer looking like a tornado went through it

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Most handguns with a barrel length longer than 4 inches are permitted through Canada.
    No handguns at all are permitted. My ruger blackhawk with 10" barrel is not permitted. Any form of handgun is a total No No in canada.

Looks like i will be bringing a lot more ammo then. I was just going to ship my guns up, but i am rethinking that. I have 8 guns i would like to take with me. what about the ammo back into the us? is that what form 4457 is for ? I will have to ship several of my guns because the are prohibited.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nelson74 View Post
    No handguns at all are permitted. My ruger blackhawk with 10" barrel is not permitted. Any form of handgun is a total No No in canada.
    Gee, I must be special then....because I just follow the instructions in the links I posted and have never had a problem.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Ak47nutter View Post
    what about the ammo back into the us? is that what form 4457 is for ?
    Yeah, 4457 is a US Customs form upon which you're supposed to inventory all your stuff upon exiting the U.S., so when you reenter the U.S. on the other side they can tell you didn't buy the stuff in Canada. If you blow it off they may give you a ration of grief upon reentry and threaten to make you pay duty...
    #Resist

oh that is kinda easy does that mean I have to write everything I bring over the border on there or just the guns/ammo?
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast