Thread: Capsized Boat in Valdez

Default Capsized Boat in Valdez

Anyone have any details on what happened.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150829/...at-near-valdez
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Not sure exactly what happened, but before they went out the gal who was hypothermic posted this in response to when she was going home:

So they knew the weather was not good, and they shouldn't be going out. However they did anyways. I am just guessing, but my guess is an inexperienced captain got caught sideways in a wave and rolled or took green water over the side/back and swamped. Who knows though. It could be many different things. It would be nice if we could find out what happened though. Partly out of curiosity and mainly for educational reasons.

First of all the wind has been bad in Valdez all weekend, still blowing today. The people who capsized their boat had shrimp pots out and were supposed to to leave town so they were determined to pull out. It was a newer 27 foot boat that walk through door to the swim platform. When they left the harbor the door it never got secured or closed properly. I heard three were out on deck pulling the pots on one side of the deck, heavy winds and a large wave sweep in, swapping the deck and the boat capsized. I also heard the two in the cabin had to go out the side window. They were in the water for around 10 minutes before they were rescued. I heard this same report from a couple of locals today. Again heavy winds off and on all weekend long, I wanted to get out fishing and decided against it due to the weather.

Glad to hear that everyone made it out ok. I've pulled pots in weather like that and its never fun.