Thread: Wooldridge Sport Hull Mod

Default Wooldridge Sport Hull Mod

So finally finished my chine work on my 20' Sport.
    Wanted my older, 2001 Wooldirdge Sport to have the reverse chines that WB has since used on their newer jet hulls. As in all things, this was design progression for WB, and I really liked the way it made the boat handle. I was going to do the work myself, but in the end the shop I had access to wasn't high enough to lift the boat off the trailer, given the spring sag etc.
    Had a local shop do the work. We just stitched it on in case it didn't work I how I was hoping.
    Well, took it out and it definitely worked out. Really happy with the handling, although it was no slouch before.
    Has dropped my on step rpm down, gets on step even quicker, doesn't want to spray tons of water on hard turns. Its kind of an industrial look now, but it does work. I was definitely a bit nervous when I took it out, praying it wasn't a disaster.

Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

You gonna have em finish out the welds? Probably make it perform even better totally welded out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it. Looks great...

I wonder if I did that too if it would improve my AK II??

Hmmmmmm...

Not sure if running the reverse chine all the way to the bow gave you any benefit. Usually running the chine that far up causes the boat to slap the water as it cuts chop or riffles while on step. Many times the chine is run about 50% up the length of the boat, or to the point where the hull is out of the water while on step.
    Just a thought, your results might be different. Regardless, looks good and what an easy improvement to the boat.
    Bk

If you look at the North River boats, they run their reverse chine right to the bow. Same with the "new" style extruded chines on the Wooldridge boats.
    This Sport is an '01, and it uses their old extruded chine which did not incorporate the reverse the new style does. As I mentioned, Woolddridge continue to evolve their designs, and I really liked the new style chine extrusion and how it handled. I didn't want to get too extreme with the chine, so I stuck with a 1x1 angle instead of going larger, precision for the reasons you mention. The one big issue I wanted to get rid of was the bow spray and tendency to really grab and DI while turning. Grinding off the old strakes that WB had installed on the hull just inboard of the chines helped. Adding these chines has made a big difference. Was out this weekend, and with a pile of gear, gas and three guys(no moose sadly) it doesn't grab and throw the nasty bow spray anymore. So far, doesn't seem to "slap" and more or less than it did before.
    i just want to add that this in no way reflects any dissatisfaction with Wooldridge boats in general. This is my fourth one. I would love to have a new SSD, but being cheap, I just don't want to spend that kind of money. My previous boat was a 2011 20'Sport with an OBJ. I really liked the new style chine extrusion that Glen and the boys had begun to use, and figure there must be some way to replicate it (to some extent) on an older boat. My natural inclination is to tinker with stuff anyway.
    i agree with the earlier reply re. finishing the welds and smoothing them out. Probably a project this winter.
    not sure if adding these to an Alaskan hull would do anything for it. Different hull design and deadrise. The Aks have a bunch of strakes formed in already. If it's an older Ak, a narrower hull width might be the biggest drawback.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Yukon,
    Glad its working for ya, sounds like you did your research and got it right.
    The reverse chines work great at knocking the spray down and away from the boat. So well in fact, I added a set to my Wooldridge also!
    Good luck on the moose hunt, hope to see some pics soon.
    Bk

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Yukon,
    Glad its working for ya, sounds like you did your research and got it right.
    The reverse chines work great at knocking the spray down and away from the boat. So well in fact, I added a set to my Wooldridge also!
    Good luck on the moose hunt, hope to see some pics soon.
    Bk
    i hope I can show some pictures soon. Had one in this past weekend, but he was more curious than coming to a call. A good shot never did present itself. Probably going to do a hunt in my buddies C180 rather than the boat.
    Which model WB did you add chines to?
    cheers
    Paul
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Paul,
    Added them to a 27' pilot house. Knocks the spray away from the boat vs. up in front of the bow and then driving through it getting salt spray on the clean windows.
    Bk

Default Wooldridge Sport Hull Mod

If you finish them out are you going to cap off the stern side? I would think you'd want to get as much of moisture out of the cavity as you could before sealing it off, maybe start at the rear and finish out everything except the rear cap and the very front, then flush out with fresh water and hit it with a hair dryer or air compressor for a while to clear all the remaining liquid, just so it's not sitting in there for the rest of eternity... I don't know, maybe not needed but just a thought. Glad you're liking the performance so far! Now go get some meat on the ground!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjq View Post
    If you finish them out are you going to cap off the stern side? I would think you'd want to get as much of moisture out of the cavity as you could before sealing it off, maybe start at the rear and finish out everything except the rear cap and the very front, then flush out with fresh water and hit it with a hair dryer or air compressor for a while to clear all the remaining liquid, just so it's not sitting in there for the rest of eternity... I don't know, maybe not needed but just a thought. Glad you're liking the performance so far! Now go get some meat on the ground!!
    I'll probably tidy up the stern ends a bit with the TIG torch, but will definately leave the bottom of the angle open to allow for drainage.
    BKmail, I thought the Pilot House models did have the reverse chine up front for spray deflection? Or is that only on newer models.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Yukoner
    Great idea, I'm sure I'll do the same sort of thing to my 2000 Sport. Thanks for the post and pics. Good luck on the hunt. I just drove the highway this past 4 days. Only saw 4 moose, 1 bull, but as soon as it turned dark there were elk all over the place, I've never seen so many.

I'd leave at least a drain hole in the back of the chine, but probably just leave it open. It will drain when on step or on the trailer.

[QUOTEt angle Al =yanert;1502952]Yukoner
    Great idea, I'm sure I'll do the same sort of thing to my 2000 Sport. Thanks for the post and pics. Good luck on the hunt. I just drove the highway this past 4 days. Only saw 4 moose, 1 bull, but as soon as it turned dark there were elk all over the place, I've never seen so many.

I'd leave at least a drain hole in the back of the chine, but probably just leave it open. It will drain when on step or on the trailer.[/QUOTE]
    drop me a line when you are ready to tackle this, I have a bunch of ideas and Intel on this. Different angle Al options etc, what will work and what won't. Some of this Intel was hard won, and I'll leave it at that.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    BKmail, I thought the Pilot House models did have the reverse chine up front for spray deflection? Or is that only on newer models.
    Yukoner,
    Correct, mine is an '07. Stanard today.
    Bk