Thread: Silvers on fly.

Default Silvers on fly.

I've been fly casting open ocean silvers for many years, but I had probably my best 36 hours of action this past week. I lost count of silvers in the net, but they were all caught fly casting either by getting in with the trollers and drifting along with them, or by cruising around drinking a Monster looking for bait on the sonar and stopping to cast. The variety was great, catching fish over water from 15'-270' on a variety of patterns, sizes and colors. Managed four species of fish off one single bait ball...it was incredible. Also got into several young black cod pretty thick in shallow water. That was a nice little diversion between silvers.

~silver2.jpg silver1.jpg

I guess I can only get two pics per post and it's not letting me post them inline.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've got more pics to load, but having to click on each one is a pain, so I'll just leave it to these. Suffice it to say, it was a great couple of days on the water over a variety of water and everything from deep hits to sight casting.

Here's the kind of bait I was seeing and on several occasions had silvers schooling and holding right under the boat. The action was great, with several of the first casts on bait getting hit immediately.

Yeehaw! I've been seeing you out there but too tied up to come say hi. Glad someone has been on top of the action! Keep it up, and I'll be back out there as soon as this fire business is behind me. Little rain today, but winds back up to 35-40 NW tomorrow....

Yeah, it's been good. I've had a slow summer, so it's good to hit some fish before it's over. Hopefully the wind settles down a bit this week...stay safe out there. And yeah, stop by if you see me out there. If you've got a radio on board, I'll answer to "kodiakfly" or "esoxfly" and I usually hang out on 16 or 18.

Great report and pics! Thanks for sharing those. Care to share your fly patterns? I can see only the one blue/ green flashabou at your reel and none others.

Yeah for sure. Let me get some pics up later tonight. But basically various baitfish patterns. Blues working best. Smaller flies for when they were swarming the boat and I was casting 12'away.

Dark blue was hot this week for me. Just tied these this weekend. Going to try the circle hook thing again. I've had limited success with them, but I'm gonna try this configuration and see how it pans out. But yeah, this size/shape/color were getting it done this week.
    circle salmon.jpg

Thanks for the info and pic. Do you think the trailer/stinger hook helps that much? For short bites? Or just good insurance?

Stinger helps next to the boat for sure. The fish can get schooling and swarming like rockfish and they love to take quick, short jabs at the fly. Almost looks like they're just investigating rather than actually pursuing. Sure, sometimes one will come out of nowhere and just slam it, but all the half-hearted lunges and swipes far outweigh the actual committed hits. And in those swipes without a stinger you can see them get the tail of the fly in their mouth or even the whole fly but I'll strip set and it comes out. That little hook in the rear will hold a fish...even just by the skin of their gums, but it'll get fish in the boat. And I still miss fish with the tandem flies, but they do increase the boatside success for me.

You nailed it on the stingers!

I'm tying all my flies with a mono loop, adding or removing the stinger as the situation dictates. Even without the hook on there, the mono loop really cuts down on wing tangles with those long streamer wings.

All done with our part of the fire followup, so as soon as the wind drops we'll be out there!

Looks like later in the week is supposed to calm down. I may take a day or two of leave and try to get out again.