Thread: Dall sheep horn length?

Default Dall sheep horn length?

I'm trying to get the horn length measurement on a dall sheep. According to Boone and Crocket: The length of horn is measured from the lowest point in front on the outer curve to a point in line with the tip. DO NOT press tape into depressions. The low point of the outer curve of the horn is considered to be the low point of the frontal portion of the horn, situated above and slightly medial to the eye socket (not the outside edge). Use a straight edge, perpendicular to the horn axis, to end the measurement on broomed horns.

What the heck does all that mean? I'm not sure what the lowest point of the outer curve would be? According to the photo it isn't the outside of the horn base and it's not down the middle of the horn....it looks like somewhere in-between where there is supposedly a low point. Does anyone have a better explanation and possibly a photo or 2 that how this?

Go on the Boone & Crockett web site, under “scoring your trophy” click on “sheep” it shows you how/where to measure sheep horns.
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Take it to a fish and game office. They're measuring tons of Sheep right now.

That's where I looked and got the description that is quite confusing above. If the length measurement is a hair off it makes quite a bit of difference in the overall score because it moves 3 of the mass measurements up or down the horn. I'm not really into B&C that much but it would be nice to get a fairly legit score.

Show us a picture of the Sheep and you'll get some members to help score it. Was the Sheep taken this year ?

I've had some great tips on measuring the length. I come up with the same measurement as the F&G so it must be super close.