Thread: Moose not cooperating

Default Moose not cooperating

1st couple days of archery here on the Kenai we saw lots of moose. Saw 3 bulls with a cow at one time, and 3 bulls with 9 cows another. Have seen 12 bulls so far, only 2 were legal but couldn't get close enough to loose an arrow. Was seeing multiple cows and calves those 1st few mornings and evenings. Then everything changed. Going out the same times, early and late. Same places, and a few new one also. Few other hunters out. It's like they (the moose) dropped off the face of the earth. Saw nary a moose yesterday, and none this morning. Only a couple the past several days. I'm thinking it's the weather. Too warm for them to be out much in the day. Too dry. Too windy. Talked with a fellow from the Valley who had a similar experience there. Oh well. There is always tomorrow.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

If you walked through the area multiple times, it's possible that the critters simply moved on due to your scent. Moose will do this at times. They eventually come back, but if you are walking all over the area, this is a normal reaction. Your post doesn't indicate how you approached the area, so I could be incorrect.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You must be hunting in the same area that I usually hunt. I have no clue how the moose are able to disappear like that, but they definitely seem to know when the season is over as they seem to be everywhere again as soon as the season closes. Crafty rascals.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    If you walked through the area multiple times, it's possible that the critters simply moved on due to your scent. Moose will do this at times. They eventually come back, but if you are walking all over the area, this is a normal reaction. Your post doesn't indicate how you approached the area, so I could be incorrect.

-Mike
    The area where we saw the 9 cows and 3 bulls together had a guy who was on foot every morning and evening the 1st 3 days. Haven't seen a moose there since. I took a drive this afternoon in the heat of the day and saw a draft horse size cow in a local lake and another nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    The area where we saw the 9 cows and 3 bulls together had a guy who was on foot every morning and evening the 1st 3 days. Haven't seen a moose there since. I took a drive this afternoon in the heat of the day and saw a draft horse size cow in a local lake and another nearby.
    Take a berry bucket and a camera, and a pistol. When they come in for photo or snack, shoot em behind the ear.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

-Mike
    Mike, I'm having a hard time coming up with any useful information to add to your answer. I've think it that good. You learn a lot from reading my post. Ha, ha ha...........

Moose that live in wooded area first line of defense is hearing. There hearing is 1000 times better than most men. If that not bad enough hunter do not realize all the noise they make when walking and the effect it has on moose. If you want to see more moose, learn how to stalk and practice what you learned before you go hunting.

If you ever watched a moose that did not know you were there. They will move back into the trees and wait when they hear something. Look into the trees for something that is not normal, like a ear twitch, a tree with antlers or a limb pointed up. There been times I thought my heart would jump out of my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Mike, I'm having a hard time coming up with any useful information to add to your answer. I've think it that good. You learn a lot from reading my post. Ha, ha ha...........

Moose that live in wooded area first line of defense is hearing. There hearing is 1000 times better than most men. If that not bad enough hunter do not realize all the noise they make when walking and the effect it has on moose. If you want to see more moose, learn how to stalk and practice what you learned before you go hunting.

If you ever watched a moose that did not know you were there. They will move back into the trees and wait when they hear something. Look into the trees for something that is not normal, like a ear twitch, a tree with antlers or a limb pointed up. There been times I thought my heart would jump out of my skin.
    I stalked up on a big bull in the rain last year. He was bedded. I got so close, I had to back up to get a video.
    Agree on the hearing. I think they were holding up some due to the wind affecting their ability to hear. Also the full moon. They likely are feeding at night, bedding during the day due to the temps, and human activity. The only ones we have been spotting in the evening lately are right at dusk, and see a few by the road in the headlights on the way home.