Thread: Moving to Alaska from California

Default Moving to Alaska from California

My name is Bill. I live in SoCal with my wife Irma. We are considering a move to Alaska in a couple of years when we retire. I'm 56 and my wife is 55.

Living in SoCa, the land of the concrete jungle doesn't give us much time to be in the wild outdoors. I have done some desert camping, a little hunting but my main outdoor sport was ocean fishing. I've spent many many days on the ocean on both sportboat charters and on my own boats. (Last one was a 28 Topaz with twin diesels) I'm comfortable on the ocean. Wife is not. I've never driven a boat on a river.

The area we are looking at is the tri-city area of Kenai/Soldotna. We are open to other areas. We are looking for the best place for people our age to live in.

Neither of us have ever lived in an area that has real winter.

In the mid 90's I worked at Unocal and was sent to Kenai twice a year to do computer upgrades at the amonia plant. I spent 2 weeks in the summer and 1 week in November in Kenal. In my spare time I visited Homer, Seward and did a little exploring of the peninsula. I was able to fish the Russian river and a couple of other places that I describe as 'combat fishing'. I never imagined I would fish shoulder to shoulder with a hundred other guys in Alaska. I guess that's the summer tourists, of which I was one.

I want to live in an area that has good salmon and ocean fishing. I like catching halibut and rockfish in addition to salmon.

In the first year it might be a good idea for us to rent in town close to stores instead of buying. I'm certain I could adapt to the winter weather but I'm not sure about my wife. Once we know how to live in Alaska, we would probably want to move to a place away from town to get away from the crowds.

I'd also like to get good enough to be a guide in the summer fishing the Kenai.

What areas, other than the Kenai peninsula, have close access to great fishing and a little bit of humanity? My wife is a social creature and needs to be around people.

Thanks Bill

Quote Originally Posted by CaBilltoAk View Post
    What areas, other than the Kenai peninsula, have close access to great fishing and a little bit of humanity? My wife is a social creature and needs to be around people.
    The various towns in southeast Alaska. Ketchikan, Wrangell, Juneau, Sitka, etc.

I'd recommend Dillingham as well. Kodiak too...

Of course those are a little bit more of a challenge to get to, but fishing is some of the best in the world.

After reading you introduction I would suggest coming up for a visit during the winter Dec/Jan time frame. That would give both you and your wife a general idea of part of the year before you make an investment to find out that your other half would not be happy here.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Just one thought to consider. I met an older couple that retired in one of the remote areas of the state. They were selling their place(hence my interest) and when I asked why the answer surprised me - access to healthcare. As we get older, we never know what's in store for us. Kenai is probably a good choice with the local hospital and a short flight/couple hour drive to anchorage.
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Something else to consider..... It's not so much the "winter weather" that you might think you'll need to get used to. We've have some pretty mild winters up here lately compared to some places in the lower 48. For many, it's the long hours of darkness that drives people crazy. It would definitely be something that might drive either you or you wife crazy seeing that you've lived in So. Cal for awhile. Probably would be better to spend at least one full winter up here before buying to decide if it's something you really want to do.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

My wife has some long term health issues, finding doctors in alaska is a nightmare. Hiker makes a good point make sure you check if its relavant to you guys

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk