Thread: Kuiu vs Sitka Insulation layer

Default Kuiu vs Sitka Insulation layer

I have already done a search on the forum and read through a ton of information. I can put my hands on the Sitka Gear but not on the Kuiu.

Before I pull the trigger on some new stuff I would like to hear some input.

Kuiu Super Down or Sitka kelvin for the insulating layer. Sitka's new Kelvin is the primaloft gold (down/synthetic blend), why?

I don't have experience with the Sitka gear, but I have been nothing but impressed with my Kuiu super down gear so far. I've had it for the better part of two years and have been in some wet, snowy, nasty weather with it, and so far it has exceeded my expectations. It's not outerwear to be sure - plan on having a good waterproof shell over it if raining - but if used as intended, it's excellent!

My Kuiu Super Down is incredible, super happy with all of my Kuiu gear. As has been stated make sure you have a great shell over it.

Like Brian, I don't have any experience with Sitka Gear, other than looking at it in the stores. I do have quite a bit of Kuiu clothing and have a SD hooded jacket and SD zip tee/pullover. I have nothing but good things to say about all my Kuiu stuff. The only issue, if you can call it an issue, I have with the SD stuff is that the outer material is very thin, but that's just the price you pay for light weight. It's definitely not something you want to be wearing as outerwear if your bushwhacking.

For the value I've been extremely satisfied with my Cabelas down jacket. Light, packable and warmer then both of your other choices for half the price.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I usually go with Outdoor Research, most time they make earth tone colors and the quality is outstanding. I tend to stay away from the camo, seems to really increase the prices.

Kuiu sucks. Don't waste your money. At least the Yukon line does, that's all I have experience with. And their packs - they're junk, too. Speaking from experience. Pretty nice stuff for wearing in your living room, but does not perform as advertised if you go outside in it.

Quote Originally Posted by MatSuDano View Post
    Kuiu sucks. Don't waste your money. At least the Yukon line does, that's all I have experience with. And their packs - they're junk, too. Speaking from experience. Pretty nice stuff for wearing in your living room, but does not perform as advertised if you go outside in it.
    Ha,ha, that's some pretty funny stuff right there. I guess that's why Kuiu is losing money hand over fist and the company is quickly going under, because all their gear sucks....not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MatSuDano. Knock off the inflammatory rhetoric, name calling etc. I removed your last post because of it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by chapman8523 View Post
    I usually go with Outdoor Research, most time they make earth tone colors and the quality is outstanding. I tend to stay away from the camo, seems to really increase the prices.
    Yup, OR gear is fantastic. I've got several pieces that have survived many sheep hunts.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Ooops. Didn't mean to hurt your buddy's feelers. Just hoping to save someone the same grief and disappointment I went through. Pretty lame when your $650 "waterproof" gear fails you on the side of a mountain.

You're right about the OR gear - haven't had any issues with that brand.

Quote Originally Posted by MatSuDano View Post
    Ooops. Didn't mean to hurt your buddy's feelers. Just hoping to save someone the same grief and disappointment I went through. Pretty lame when your $650 "waterproof" gear fails you on the side of a mountain.
    It has nothing to do with anyones feelings. It's about having a civil conversation within the Forum Rules. I'm assuming you are a grown man. Please act like it by expressing your opinions and experiences in a civil manner.

C'mon man - you didn't even smile a little?

Just google Kuiu reviews. lots of unhappy campers out there. I personally know of two pack failures, as well as multiple issues with their clothing line. From what I've read they have moved their production overseas, though I may be wrong. There was also the little issue of them censoring negative reviews for a period. My old and new Sitka gear has held tough for several years and many trips. Side by side I would go with Sitka any day, but as always dress for the conditions. No matter what claims these companies may make this light weight breathable stuff will leak through in short time with our weather. Everyone I hunt with have sold or even given away their Kuiu gear and either gone back to Sitka or on to another brand like First Lite.

I picked up a Core4Element Elevation packable down jacket earlier this winter. It was less then half the price of Sitka gear and was my go to cold weather coat all winter.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

As with most gear, you need to dial it in for your intended use and expectations. KUIU is the best in ULTRALIGHT hunting gear. I have many of their items, as well as Sitka and First Lite. Hands down, KUIU offers the best lightweight gear, and it's not lightweight using 550 cordura, okay. There are drawbacks for weight savings. If you care more about durability, go buy a Barney's super cub, First lite uncomphagre, or the like... However for similar weight you could carry a Super down jacket and Superdown pants.... They're just not going to be busting brush

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk