Thread: A Great Day of Fishing

Default A Great Day of Fishing

A great day of fishing is all relative to who you are and your expectations. Some people think that 1 fish makes a great day and others it has to be over 100. We talk to a lot of folks that can't catch a thing so we have what we call a charity day and just teach. It's pretty easy to see who needs help most of the time and most are too proud to ask for help so we offer. We set up their rods with the right stuff and explain what they need to do. Many of the folks we help catch their first fish in Alaska and they may have been there for 2 weeks already.
    So for me a great day is relative to what we decide to do, but 100+ days are always good.
    We are mostly C&R but will keep a bleeder if allowed
    Chums - 50+ per tide
    Pinks - ??? just catch till you're tired
    silvers - we use 5wts so we loose most so 20+ hookups
    socks - I don't floss/snag so we don't do socks
    kings - I don't fish kings in AK but here in Oregon it will be 20-50 a day this weekend
    dollies - 100 - 300 a day depending on where were at
    rainbows - 20 - 100+ a day depending on where we are
    Give examples of what you consider a great day.

Any day fishing in alaska is a good day fish or not. Would never live anywhere else.

Totally depends on the species/priorities. Sometimes it's about filling the freezer, in which case numbers partially dictate success. Usually, though, it's about smiles, laughter, and memories. One of my favorite days this year was chasing rainbows with my wife, and neither of us hooked up a single time with our target fish. Despite that, it was most certainly a great day. Other days I put my kids on their first fish or their first of a certain type. Even if the day is filled with other child care realities and only a fish or two, those are definitely great days. Sometimes I spend the entire day chasing a single fish - one time I chased a one silver up and down over 300 yards of river for hours. Though I only landed one fish that day, it was a very, very good day. Other times it's just about loneliness, beauty, and solitude.

These were some great days:

Son's first silver:

My youngest reeling in a cod:

My oldest learning how to cast on his own:

First grayling of the year, and only one of the day. Got the location tip from a friendly member on here:

Son's first fish that he jigged on his own:

Wife working the fly rod in a lonely stretch of water:

A surprise rainbow while taking a break from targeting reds:

One of my favorite places in Alaska:

You get the idea... It's not usually about numbers except when we're stocking fish for the winter. Usually it's about solitude and laughter.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebraun View Post
    socks - I don't floss/snag so we don't do socks
    I fished the upper kenai river through the refuge one time this season, in July. I caught my limit of sockeye and all were willful biters. That was a great day.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Any day I'm fishing is a great day. If I bring something home it's a bonus.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Brian, great pictures and great definition of a good day fishing - thanks for sharing!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Any day fishing (away from crowds) is a great day. Catching a small grayling in a spot that is new, to catching a nice rainbow that screams line out and leaps over and over, silvers, chums, and kings on a flyrod....I love it all! My favorite fishing is floating and wading my favorite South Central river and flipping flies with my wife for rainbows.

Lake Clarke grayling fishing...jealous!

"Many men fish all their lives without ever realizing that it is not the fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

i had a great fishing day today. Wasn't about numbers, but I did catch 12 trout and 1 dolly, managed to only snag one salmon. I had an hour to kill while waiting for the 206 to come in... any fish caught would have made a great day, so a dozen made a fantastic day!