Thread: 16b River water levels.

Default 16b River water levels.

Just for every one interested in hunting 16b by boat the water levels are extremeley low. You cannot go Five fingers with any weight. Alexander creek is at record lows for this time of year also.

Thanks for the update....been watching the levels drop on NOAA, trying to plan our last cabin trips

Alexander,

Not familiar with your "Five Fingers" reference? Please translate for us flatlanders.

Heading up-river into 16B on Friday with my daughter and her Youth tag. Planning to bring my AK Jet Ranger inflatable rolled up in the bottom of the aluminum jet-boat, in case things get REAL shallow! How far up (and down) the Yentna is likely with a 20-fter + camp (and a dead moose)?

Thanx, Dave.

PS - Tried to call you on Sunday, but, automated recording said that you were "out of the calling area"?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Alexander,

Not familiar with your "Five Fingers" reference? Please translate for us flatlanders.

Heading up-river into 16B on Friday with my daughter and her Youth tag. Planning to bring my AK Jet Ranger inflatable rolled up in the bottom of the aluminum jet-boat, in case things get REAL shallow! How far up (and down) the Yentna is likely with a 20-fter + camp (and a dead moose)?

Thanx, Dave.

PS - Tried to call you on Sunday, but, automated recording said that you were "out of the calling area"?
    BluNosDav I believe Alexander is referring to a section of the Big Su between the confluence of the Yentna and Cook Inlet. So, If you are launching from the Deshka Landing to go down the Big Su and then Up the Yentna, that won't be a problem. However, on the off chance you are launching from Anchorage and running across the inlet you might have a problem.

Blunosdav, there is no water! I am referring to the far west channel of the Su, a short cut to Alexander Creek. It is dry now and the long way to Alexander Creek, what we call Dynamite Slough is barely passable. The Mouth of Alexander is 10 foot wide and 3 inches deep. I am going to take pictures today and post them. Never have seen the water this low. Went out and up the River to the mouth of the Yet a yesterday to do a boat rescue and could barely get back thru the Mouth in a light weight Grumman jet. In my opinion a inboard will not make it here. If you come from the Inlet into the East channel to the mouth of the Yet a it is no Problem.

PS - Tried to call you on Sunday, but, automated recording said that you were "out of the calling area"?[/QUOTE]

Keep trying, the wind was blowing hard on Sunday and the phone doesn't like it!

"Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.