Thread: advice for canoe trip for my one day in Alaska

Default advice for canoe trip for my one day in Alaska

Hello,

My wife and I will be visiting Alaska just for a day and a half. We are flying into Anchorage at mdinight, then we have a day and a half before we need to be in Seward for our cruise. I am trying to figure out what to do during that first day, a thursday in August. We are both hikers, and I am a guy who likes whitewater canoeing, camping, and nature watching in general. I have kind of decided that canoeing for a day would be a nice way to spend some time out in nature without too much hiking, since we will be spending a week in Rokcy Moutain National Park with the inlaws about 3 weeks before.

My wife also does not like ot be cold and wet, at least not at the same time. She will be a good sport about it, but because of that, sea kyaking is probably out. Flatwater canoing on a lake should be fine. I would like to see moose, eagles, bears and beavers a plus too. I know that there are no guarantees on that.

I have been reading about the Nancy Lake canoe area and it sounds like it could work out well. Close to Anchorage, but off the standard tourist track.

What do yall think ? I can bring my GPS in a dry box, but I cannot afford to get totally lost either, as missing the boat the next day would be a disaster. Kenai sounds terriffic, but I would worry about losing a few hours on each end, jsut driving, although the drive sounds beatuiful as well. The thing is, we would repeat the views the next day in a bus, and htat might be a shame.

Is Nancy Lake the quintesential Alaska ? Or would there be much better ways to spend that day ?? Also, are the mosquitos super bad out on the water ? We are from Houston TX, but Alaska mosquitoes are supposed to be as big as chickens, right ?

TIA, Richard from Houston.

Default 1 Day trip

the nancy lake would be your best bet for the time spent an yes the bugs are big an many of them iven in the day light
    SID

canoe rentals in Sterling and could hit some lakes on peninsula even Kenai river. Moose river to swiftwater would be nice float, (Sterling to Soldotna) took me about 4 hrs in 3 person raft. rental place can tell you what would work best.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

On the nancy lake canue trail you would have a good chance of seeing those critters and more, but it might be a little long. I don't know how much you will want to hurry. I think doing it in 1 day would be a very long event. You could paddel the Little Su it takes about 10 hours of good paddeling. I think the nancy lake canue trail is longer then that.
    Nancy lake its self has a fair amount of houses on it but I think you can get away from them if you try.
    Just remember that if you go to nancy lake it is about a 2 hour drive north of Anchorage. then down to seward from nancy lake is going to be about a 5 hour drive.

Quote Originally Posted by merkurmaniac View Post
    Or would there be much better ways to spend that day ?? Also, are the mosquitos super bad out on the water ? We are from Houston TX, but Alaska mosquitoes are supposed to be as big as chickens, right ?

TIA, Richard from Houston.
    1. Yes, there are better ways, IMO. Nancy Lake is nice, and I'm a canoeist born and bred, but I would not spend my precious few hours driving when I have plenty of time to sit in a vehicle the next day.
    Take a look at Chugach State Park. Brown bears, black bears, moose, even Dall sheep by the side of the road on Turnagain Arm. I know you probably don't want to hike, but you have never seen the scenery at the Eagle River Nature Center.

2. Don't worry about mosquitoes in and around Anchorage and the Kenai. It's not the Interior. Have some repellent handy and that's it.