Thread: Thoughts on where to float

Default Thoughts on where to float

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and am trying to plan a float hunt/fishing trip for 4 people. My brother lives in Alaska on Lake Clark, and has a Cessna 185. I am wanting to hunt Caribou and fish as the main focus of the trip. The issue that I have is deciding if we want to do a float trip or just fly in and camp, and fly out. there are positives and negatives to each. The main negative of the float trip is that we would still have to hire a pilot to fly us in and out. I'm assuming there are people on this forum who have run into this issue of owning a plane, but still having to hire a pilot for a float trip. But regardless of float, or a fixed base camp style hunt, what rivers would you suggest to get away from all of the people. Also, we would be bow hunting the majority, so an area with some form of undulation would be good in order to get close.

Lake Clark will not offer you much for the Caribou hunt. You really need to look further north and west.

Look at unit 23 and hurry

Right, so I wasn't thorough in my first post. This is for next year, and we are looking to hunt either the porcupine herd or the northwest herd. My brother has brought up that we could fly in to some small river towns and then take the mail plane up stream a couple towns and then float down to his plane... Where would that be best for bow hunting. We are hoping to not run into too many powerboats. Which herd do people suggest?