Thread: No right turn

Default No right turn

I have an 06 Extreme Shallow that turns fine while putting around but won't turn to the right under power. Bounced of a bank going downriver, went hard around coming back up. Just purchased used. Tried ajusting steering but evan with emphasis to right it still won't turn right above 3600 rpm. Solutions?

Im not sure I follow. Does the wheel and the nozzle turn but your boat wont turn, or is the steering binding? How is the power output? Any chance you have a partial blockage in the jet? What does the steering linkage look like?

Wheel & nozzle turn fine on the trailer and at slower speeds on the water. On step, under power, no right turn. It just goes straight ahead. Turns left fine but the rivers aren't NASCAR tracks.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

So the wheel won't turn at higher speeds?

The wheel turns but nothing happens. A friend who has same boat said steering cable is stretching from water pressure; his did the same thing. I'm asking here to see if anyone else has encountered this problem. Adjustment of linkage did nothing.

You need a new steering cable, there is a metal sleves crimped on the end of the steering cable (at the pump end) the crimp fails and the inner cable just pushes out instead of pushing the nozzle, the cable will pull the nozzle so you can turn left but turning to the right is like pushing a rope

Quote Originally Posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    You need a new steering cable, there is a metal sleves crimped on the end of the steering cable (at the pump end) the crimp fails and the inner cable just pushes out instead of pushing the nozzle, the cable will pull the nozzle so you can turn left but turning to the right is like pushing a rope
    Dittos. It's a common failure point. We have cables instock.

Thanks for that info guys. Another question: Why a 22 foot cable in a 21 foot boat with a center console?

Quote Originally Posted by aknome View Post
    Thanks for that info guys. Another question: Why a 22 foot cable in a 21 foot boat with a center console?
    Just depends on how it is routed. Or maybe that's all they had when it was installed.

Quote Originally Posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    Yup, quite common in the SJ's. Mine did the same exact thing and I almost wound up in the woods on the Yentna when I tried to make a sharp right turn into a slough on step.

Same thing happend to me, mine actualy kinked just past the metal tube right before it conects to the nozzle, i had to remove tube and slide it forward over kink in cable to make it home.

Thanks for the advice. New cable finally here and time to put everything back together.

I'm so thankful for this thread. I read it about a week before starting out on our moose hunt on the Kantishna. After a successful hunt we were on our last trip out with gear and heading back to Nenana. Bam, on the last s-curve slough before getting to the Tanana no right turn. WooHoo, can we talk about pucker factor! As is happens I had been talking about this exact problem earlier in the day with my hunting partner when we were talking about winter maintenance plans for the boat.

Due to the information on this thread I knew exactly what the problem was. We backed the boat up to the beach and jacked it up a little so we could get access. We cut away the rubber boot and re-crimped the sleeve with a set of needle nose vice grips and for extra measure we added a small hose clamp. 70+ miles back to Nenana with no problems. We got a new steering cable from the helpful guys at The Boat Shop. I'm a little concerned that the new cable and sleeve seem to have a looser crimp than our riverside patch job, but hey, the first one lasted 300 hrs.