Thread: Moose urine scrape starter-found it for sale in Anchorage

Default Moose urine scrape starter-found it for sale in Anchorage

For those that are looking for moose urine scrape starter, I just found it for sale at 907Surplus, the military surplus store located on the North end of Boniface in the little strip mall across from Carpentiers Bar. Looks like they are carrying all of the Baitem907 products from bears to moose. They have bull and cow urine as well as a bunch of gel items as well. It's all by the front door and inside the fridge. Yes, it really does work. Good luck to everyone.

You might want to check with F&G before using. Scent lures are a big gray area in the regulations.

Using a pit, fire, laser sight, electronically-enhanced night vision scope, any device that has been airborne, controlled remotely and used to spot or locate game with the use of a camera or video device, radio communication, cellular or satellite telephone, artificial salt lick, explosive, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, deer urine, elk urine, or chemicals, EXCEPT:

-- Scent lures without deer or elk urine may be used for ungulates, and for bears ONLY under a black bear baiting permit.

Using moose urine is not in the spirit of the law. My understanding of the probation on using urine is it has been implicated in spreading chronic waisting disease in the lower 48.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not to change subject but I read the regs section that statement is from and didn't see anything about game cams and bait stations other than that piece. In that statement it says scent lures are fine for bear but doesn't clarify game cams. Aren't we technically locating bears by having a game cam at a bait site?

I don't have anything against baiting just a thought on how it could be interpreted.

It's synthetic just like all their other products.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulo Gulo View Post
    It's synthetic just like all their other products.
    Do you work for 907 or know someone who does?

No I do not work for either business. I have met a couple of people at 907Surplus since I started shopping there and have talked on the phone with the owner of Baitem907. I was just glad to find the fake scents in Anchorage. There are a few other fake scents in town, like Tinks, Code Blue, Moose Juice, etc. None of which are REAL urine, the labels say they are synthetic. I would never use or promote anything that harmed our animals, in example giving them Chronic Wasting Disease. That would be irresponsible.

However, I admit to having a campfire during hunting season now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBugle View Post
    Using a pit, fire, laser sight, electronically-enhanced night vision scope, any device that has been airborne, controlled remotely and used to spot or locate game with the use of a camera or video device, radio communication, cellular or satellite telephone, artificial salt lick, explosive, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, deer urine, elk urine, or chemicals, EXCEPT:

-- Scent lures without deer or elk urine may be used for ungulates, and for bears ONLY under a black bear baiting permit.

Using moose urine is not in the spirit of the law. My understanding of the probation on using urine is it has been implicated in spreading chronic waisting disease in the lower 48.

I don't use and have no plan to ever use any kind of scent lure, but wouldn't any kind of synthetic urine fall under the prohibition of the use of "chemicals" (the last item in the list you posted)? Is a synthetic urine not considered a "chemical" for this purpose? Just curious as much as anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBugle View Post

This is from p. 18 of the current regs. They are absolutely clear that "[s]cent lures without deer or elk urine may be used for ungulates[.]" Because this provision takes the form of an exception to the general rule prohibiting certain technologies, items, and materials, it stands on its own for interprative purposes. I'm a lawyer, and if a client asked me for my interpretation, I would advise them that the ADF&G regulations do NOT prohibit the use of moose urine as a scent lure when hunting moose.

Now, that analysis is distinct from any debate as to whether the use of urine as a scent lure SHOULD be permitted, for the very reasons you note. In fact, it may be for those specific reasons that ADF&G has prohibited deer and elk urine.

Too bad our 'Ask a Trooper' thread gets ignored by......you guessed it......the Troopers. Might be a good place to get an answer to this subject.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Kid View Post
    I'm a lawyer, and if a client asked me for my interpretation, I would advise them that the ADF&G regulations do NOT prohibit the use of moose urine as a scent lure when hunting moose.
    Might want to post your phone number somebody might need it
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!