Thread: Grouse movements

Default Grouse movements

I was out yesterday looking for moose and found a brood of ruffed grouse. I didn't feel like using my 300 wby mag on grouse and would like to get my drahthaar pup on birds so I past by them without trying to disturb them too much while walking past them on the trail. So will they tend to stay in the same general area or do they move around a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    So will they tend to stay in the same general area or do they move around a bit?
    Yes, they do both, depending on food, time of day and being disturb (your not the only one going down that trail).

I have a question? Your moose hunting .....why would you think shooting a gun is a good idea if you want a moose?

FloorGuy,

Ruffed grouse broods will stick together until around the middle of September when most will begin what is referred to as the "fall shuffle." It's possible to find a brood still together in November, but they are mostly split up by October when each bird strikes out to make a life for itself far from the brooding area. This is also a time when young birds on their first adventure fly into cars on the highway, or picture windows in homes. If most of the brood you saw survive long enough to disperse, and survive the journey to their new home area, they will continue to breed and make more grouse. Be the student. Plenty of material on the ADF&G website about our ruffed grouse, and some fellow wrote a book about such things and Upland Hunting in Alaska and it's availble through this web site. Good luck to your pup!

That is why I usually carry a compact wrist rocket and a handful of glass marbles while stomping around for moose. With a little practice, head shots are not too difficult out to 15-20 yards. Ruffies are excellent table fare! (Just remember the limit is usually only two ruffed vs. 15 spruce)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I shoot grouse all the time while hunting moose. Suppressed 22lr is a must anytime I'm in the woods!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk