Thread: Hot tip for the weekend

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Hot tip for the weekend

I ordered too small of grubs, a six inch boneyard wishbone is/was the best grub I used, since boneyard is no more I ordered a six inch kalin and it was too small, prolly work but we would have a lot of small fish biting it too. So when your kalin 10 inch Big N Grubs tails get bit off slice and melt the little tails on to the BigNgrubs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Interesting and innovative way to use the smaller grubs up. The slight change may give that different action that catches a few more fish.

I have actually contemplated getting a mold or two made to make a copy of the big Boneyard grub in plastisol.
    I think it would be an expensive proposition though. Probably cost me close to $1,000 to get set up to do it with the molds and supplies and that's just to make one at a time.
    I sure wish I knew who has Boneyards molds. One of the guys on one of my tackle making forums is a commercial soft plastics manufacturer.
    Depending on which of the two commercial mold machines they had a guy could send him the molds and have him make the grubs for us.
    It is a minimum of I believe 1 days production run as a minimum order.
    If I remember correctly it is 4 or 5 thousand to have a new commercial machine mold made for something like this.
    If a guy could find Boneyards molds and have a few thousand made every summer he could probably make money at it Just keep it small and simple. You could offer the jigs as well and sell a combo package.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

$5000 is what I remember a mold would cost for a 9inch pollock, I see every fish we target puke up small pollock, yelloweye, halibut, ling cod, and even king salmon so I looked into the mold thing and was scared off with initial start up costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Interesting and innovative way to use the smaller grubs up. The slight change may give that different action that catches a few more fish.

I have actually contemplated getting a mold or two made to make a copy of the big Boneyard grub in plastisol.
    I think it would be an expensive proposition though. Probably cost me close to $1,000 to get set up to do it with the molds and supplies and that's just to make one at a time.
    I sure wish I knew who has Boneyards molds. One of the guys on one of my tackle making forums is a commercial soft plastics manufacturer.
    Depending on which of the two commercial mold machines they had a guy could send him the molds and have him make the grubs for us.
    It is a minimum of I believe 1 days production run as a minimum order.
    If I remember correctly it is 4 or 5 thousand to have a new commercial machine mold made for something like this.
    If a guy could find Boneyards molds and have a few thousand made every summer he could probably make money at it Just keep it small and simple. You could offer the jigs as well and sell a combo package.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com