Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Cub go/no go

Default Super Cub go/no go

I understand weather delays are common for bush flights.

I understand high winds, fog, and snow could cause those delays.

What about rain? Does rain frequently cause a bush flight to be delayed or not? I don't imagine light rain would be an issue, but heavy rain-perhaps.

Thanks.

Many times a low ceiling is associated with rain.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Like most things in aviation I would say it depends. Usually rain is not a big deal. However if I am landing in challenging area with lots of obstacles or is extremely short, the rain on windshield (especially when slow) can be a real issue.

Current weather conditions and forecasts north of Alaska Range will be causing delays I'm sure. It's just nasty and had been for some time with snow forecast for this weekend.

Rain down low may mean snow up in the hills. If the landing spot is grass covered it can be way too slick to stop. One of my work sites has a grass strip and when wet it will take a caravan nearly 3000 feet to stop as the brakes are useless. Good thing the strip is over 5000 feet long.

So it depends on the various factors as already noted.

I never question my Pilot when they say weather no/go. This is icing weather, snow, high wind, wind shear, heavy loads, light planes.....

That is all part of the game here, throw a log on the fire and have another coffee and wait for your weather window.

Being on the ground and wishing I was in a plane is always better than being in a plane wishing I was on the GROUND!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thanks all. Great input.

I had not thought of rain on the windshield or slick grass. I had every intention of trusting the pilot. Just trying to understand the factors.

I've been watching the SW Alaska forecasts. It is raining more often than not, which may be perfectly normal for this time of the year.

We bought full fare tickets for the commercial flights before and after the hunt so we could change our departure dates to accomodate weather delays.

The weather looks good today here in Bethel, yesterday and the day before, not so much!

.... If you've got time to spare go by air...
    One thing I've learned as I've been working on my private license is weather should be respected. You become so lost so quickly in an airplane if you fly into a cloud or weather and aren't IFR trained. I'll second the rain on the windshield as well it's not like they can just turn on the windshield wipers and clean it off. It's especially difficult coming in slow for a landing.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Being on the ground and wishing I was in a plane is always better than being in a plane wishing I was on the GROUND!!!
    Very very well put

Been there too many times for a pay check. Never even thought about it for fun because there is no part of that experience that's fun.

I know I sure can vouch for that. More than a few times into that butt pucker fun...!!!

Does anyone care to comment on whether the bush planes will be flying from Bethel this afternoon or tomorrow?

I am a neophyte in this department but it doesn't look good from what I can see.

Thanks.

I worked out of Bethel for a summer into the fall... pretty much flying every day. The only guarantee there was that the weather was likely to change within the hour. It was pretty rare we didn't fly, regardless of the weather. It also depends where you are going. Bethel has the added problem of the fact that it's a controlled airspace and you will be shut down by minimums dictated by the FAA.

So, the answer is, they will fly if they can. Looking at the current weather cam, I've flown in worse out of Bethel.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

It all depends on where you are going, what the whether will be like on the return for the pilot, etc, etc. The air taxi wants to fly you. That's how they make money. However, they will not make a risky decision to fly just to accommodate your schedule. Check out Bethel. There has to be some good stories to take home from there. Lol

They flew today but didn't get through the backlog to us. Tomorrow is a new day. We're safe, warm and dry. Standing by.

Chill out, watch football tomorrow... it's all part of the deal. I spent three days of absolute bluebird weather waiting to get into one of my moose hunting trips. The 25mph winds blowing the wrong way kept us out of the planned strip, even though it was sunny.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The 25mph winds blowing the wrong way kept us out of the planned strip, even though it was sunny.
    Yeah...that's a pretty big one right there. We were always on floats and I remember the guys always counted on a certain wind direction for many of these little potholes we landed on...

ya sunny and weathered in....thats how kodiak usually is for me!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

This fall hasn't been too nice for folks in the Brooks Range and on the Slope. Lot's of people not getting anywhere in a hurry!
    Louis Knapp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast