Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Calling

Default Moose Calling

When do you guys normally start trying to call in moose?

I've called moose in as early as Sep 1

Charterboat Operator

i tried several times last night, but kept getting the wrong number!!

A buddy shot a nice 55" this morning. He said he was sitting there listening, being quiet, and what got his attention was that that thing was thrashing brush and grunting. Antlers were all but scraped clean with just a very little velvet left on the top of his palms.
    Usually once they start scraping velvet, that's (from what I've been told) is the official start of the rut. That's usually when calls start to work...

I start brush thrashing by Sept 1. Bull grunts and cow calls will start to work around mid-September.

When I start moose hunting. Before then is typically a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone while hiding with a gun and a bottle.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

In my experience, brush thrashing and stick breaking is highly effective anytime in the season. I use this technique first and most during early season, and reserve vocal calls until I have a bull in sight and he is grunting. Otherwise, thrashing is more reliable.

However, a pilot friend of mine p/u a client last week (3rd week of august) and the guy was astounded that a bull was grunting and thrashing near his camp. That same pilot saw a bull completely out of velvet the same week, which extremely early for bulls to be fully stripped.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    In my experience, brush thrashing and stick breaking is highly effective anytime in the season. I use this technique first and most during early season, and reserve vocal calls until I have a bull in sight and he is grunting. Otherwise, thrashing is more reliable.

However, a pilot friend of mine p/u a client last week (3rd week of august) and the guy was astounded that a bull was grunting and thrashing near his camp. That same pilot saw a bull completely out of velvet the same week, which extremely early for bulls to be fully stripped.
    Believe it or not, for whatever reason, I heard one grunting in the middle of July. And it wasn't just a grunt here and there, it was consistent, repetitive grunting. I never saw the bull, but I sure was puzzled as to what would make him grunt like that at that time of the year?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I've raked in a forkie August 20th. My FIL raked in a 50" on the 26th of August- it came grunting and raking, with about half his velvet remaining. Typically, this is early. September 1st, anything (cow call, bull grunt) goes depending on the situation.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Believe it or not, for whatever reason, I heard one grunting in the middle of July. And it wasn't just a grunt here and there, it was consistent, repetitive grunting. I never saw the bull, but I sure was puzzled as to what would make him grunt like that at that time of the year?
    I believe it. There no reason a moose can not make sounds all year round, in fact cows are more vocal than bulls when they think there alone. If a bull hear something and thinks it's another moose there no reason it can't say “hi” no matter what time of the year.

Another explanation is it was some one using a electronic caller or there mouth playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Another explanation is it was some one using a electronic caller or there mouth playing around.
    This was out in the middle of nowhere.......a remote cabin with float plane access only. Nobody else around for miles. I went down to the lake one morning for coffee water when I heard him.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Alex Gouthro, in Canada, claims they can/may respond basically year round in one of his quality calling tapes he has produced. His input is basically if your out hunting them anytime its worth a try... We have called in several post rut, mid -Oct, in Canada....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Massive bowl movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Massive bowl movement?
    That is another possibility, except repetitive grunting is only made by a bull and a massive bowl movement sound can be made by cow moose or human.

must have been setting the table?

I agree with Larry on this one, as far as brush thrashing and raking. You're pretty safe with that just about anytime during the season. The problem with vocal calls is that some of us tend to over-call. Best bet is to take your cue from what the critters are doing. If you're hearing bull calls, do that. If you're hearing cow calls, do that. And even then, there are times when it just doesn't work.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Alex Gouthro, in Canada, claims they can/may respond basically year round in one of his quality calling tapes he has produced. His input is basically if your out hunting them anytime its worth a try... We have called in several post rut, mid -Oct, in Canada....
    Yeah, Canadian moose, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Yeah, Canadian moose, eh?
    I hear they like Molson too, eh.

The bull we killed this year was grunting with every step. Hard to say what brought him in, as we sat in the rain on the gravel bar for five hours first. We saw a small bull dart across an opening downstream and I gave a few bull grunts, in case he was accompanied by a larger bull. An hour or so later, I let fly with a couple of cow calls, and about an hour after that I beat the heck out of a root wad / drift log, breaking large limbs and making lots of thrashing racket. 45 minutes later, right at dark, he came ghosting in, crossed the river, and came right to us. It was 9pm on September 9th.

Thrashing works anytime during the season. Cow calls are great starting around the middle of September. I do the loud ones with the megaphone right before bed, and sometimes they pull in bulls who are still hanging around camp in the morning. Cow calls are obviously effective in units where the bull / cow ratio is out of whack and you have lots of bulls. Later in the season I toss in a few bull grunts, especially if I'm hearing or smelling bulls. I also use them to get bulls to respond after they're "cowed up". You may not pull them in, but they will respond and you can make your plan at that point.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Has anyone scared off a spike/fork by being too aggressive with a bull call?

We've got one hanging around our place and he wont come out where I need him to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast