Thread: Alaska Roundtable-What do you thinks?

Default Alaska Roundtable-What do you thinks?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I'll take your bait. Me thinks the KRSA syndicate is hard at work with the who's-who of anti-commercial fishing, to promote more, more, more sport fishing.

As a sport fisherman, I'm all for promoting sport fishing. But problem I have is I don't hear mention of how much more is enough. I mean how much more in-River pressure can there be? Their push for more is a bottomless pit. Look how even the current sport fishing pressure decimated the Early Run of Kings - now closed. I also have a problem with exterminating other users, like set netters, just to get more, more, more. I don't need more, certainly not at the expense of my fellow set net neighbors. There are plenty of fish for all user groups, and established ways to manage them. I already have all the sport fishing opportunity a man could ever dream. I can catch dozens of chrome Kings before the Kenai even opens, then tag out on the Kenai too. I can dip net 50 sockeye in less than two hours, then rod/reel another 3-6 per day for the entire season. Silvers have been gross, yet again - my smoker has been going steady for two weeks. Halibut, rockfish, shrimp, trout, grayling, pike, etc. Homer, Seward, Whittier, the Su Valley, Fairbanks, Deep Creek/Ninilchik/Anchor Point, West Side, Kodiak...

Come on. These guys reek of selfish greed. Their agenda is all for us, none for you.

I watched the the entire video. It reminded me of sitting in the bar and listening to a group in a booth that had a few brewskies in them. Nobody said anything of great magnitude or ingenuity. Just a bunch of buddies in their cliche agreeing with each other 'cuz we're buds'. And, right on que at the end is the half drunk woman that had to get her two cents in of meaningless drivel. You know, to show she fits in with 'all the guys'.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

From the Article:
    The panel’s championing of recreational anglers did not come at the expense of any other marine user group. In fact, the panel’s discussion culminated in Peters’ closing remarks, as he called for stakeholders to come together in pursuit of common benefits.

“If I were offering my advice and counsel to anyone engaged in issues surrounding recreational fisheries, I would advise them to pursue a mutual gains approach to resolving the problem,” he said, “and I think that we recreational anglers should sit down with commercial anglers, and that would be my hope for the next 20 years.”

Omg yes!!! This sounds so divisive

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    From the Article:
    The panel’s championing of recreational anglers did not come at the expense of any other marine user group. In fact, the panel’s discussion culminated in Peters’ closing remarks, as he called for stakeholders to come together in pursuit of common benefits.

“If I were offering my advice and counsel to anyone engaged in issues surrounding recreational fisheries, I would advise them to pursue a mutual gains approach to resolving the problem,” he said, “and I think that we recreational anglers should sit down with commercial anglers, and that would be my hope for the next 20 years.”

"And that is why I am here and my employer, Yamaha, is a primary sponsor of this roundtable discussion were other users are turned away at the door, and this $4,000 per head educational charity event in which discounted entry fees - I mean donations - are offered to sponsors of the setnet ban..."

There, is that divisive enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Funstastic View Post
    I'll take your bait. Me thinks the KRSA syndicate is hard at work with the who's-who of anti-commercial fishing, to promote more, more, more sport fishing.

As a sport fisherman, I'm all for promoting sport fishing. But problem I have is I don't hear mention of how much more is enough. I mean how much more in-River pressure can there be? Their push for more is a bottomless pit. Look how even the current sport fishing pressure decimated the Early Run of Kings - now closed. I also have a problem with exterminating other users, like set netters, just to get more, more, more. I don't need more, certainly not at the expense of my fellow set net neighbors. There are plenty of fish for all user groups, and established ways to manage them. I already have all the sport fishing opportunity a man could ever dream. I can catch dozens of chrome Kings before the Kenai even opens, then tag out on the Kenai too. I can dip net 50 sockeye in less than two hours, then rod/reel another 3-6 per day for the entire season. Silvers have been gross, yet again - my smoker has been going steady for two weeks. Halibut, rockfish, shrimp, trout, grayling, pike, etc. Homer, Seward, Whittier, the Su Valley, Fairbanks, Deep Creek/Ninilchik/Anchor Point, West Side, Kodiak...

Come on. These guys reek of selfish greed. Their agenda is all for us, none for you.
    That middle paragraph should be etched in bronze and put on every sport fishers wall! It is spot on and KRSA should have it slammed over their heads. There is so much opportunity here for resident anglers! Sport harvests of all species is at a peak except for king salmon (which is just less than 10 years removed from record runs). Every resident here in this state gets all the salmon they need on this river.....NEED. The only reason KRSA and that Bob Penney group who wants to eliminate set nets are trying to kill the commercial industry is so they and the guides can get their kings and red limits faster in the morning so they can go home by lunch and hob knob about making shady back room deals to get more.....errr uh whatever it is they want besides fish. Money. Land. Politicians. I don't know what they want besides more fish but I'm sure it's something. It's gotta be about pleasing the non-residents....the fuel of the guided sport angling industry. It has to be that. I can't wait to see the bomb explode that is in hiding when both the king guided sport fishery and the resident dip net fishery are at full bore again....think those sleeping partners won't start to bicker?

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie
    Wake up. What "sounds" good does not actually reflect the actions of the Kenai River Sport fishing Association. They are at the heart of these divisive fish wars. Mutual gains, coming together, and common benefits are not what we have seen. Quite the opposite. KRSA has been integral in the divisiveness between non-guided and guided sport anglers, they've blown up ADFG's biological management, destroyed the BOF process, and they are now working to exterminate our commercial set netters, all for the benefit of themselves. And if you don't wake up, you're next.

These groups/folks that spoke at this elite convention, supporting KRSA, made themselves look silly.

What's next? CCA- Alaska?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    What's next? CCA- Alaska?
    "CCA" meaning the Coastal Conservation Alliance? No thanks.

http://peninsulaclarion.com/outdoors...e-money-motive

Les Palmer's thoughts on the "roundtable". I couldn't agree more.

I cringe every time I crank over my Yamahas. I'd love to hate them but the darn things start every time...

What the heck is the AK Oil and Gas Association thinking by being involved with KRSA? Do they think resource management by ballot box will help foster the long-term viability of the oil and gas industry?

Thanks for the link, Smith. Les nailed it. The KSRA groupies are completely out of touch with the real 'local' fisherman.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!