Thread: Hewes Anchor system

Default Hewes Anchor system

Just completed this install of our drum winch system. Was using a windlass before and got tired of the frustration that goes with it. A truly push button process now from the safety of the cockpit

That looks nice. I love the idea even though I haven't used that system. It seems to make the most sense if you have room on your bow. If you don't mind saying, what does something like that cost? How much line were you able to put on your spool?

I eventually want to go to this setup. When my lewmar gives it up (I'm sure it will), and I get tired of pulling with a buoy, I imagine I will cough up the dough for a drum system
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Very nice, will you be installing them for others?
    Redleader standing by

Nice looking unit. How much rode will this unit hold? Does it "freefall"? What's the cost installed?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Really like the idea of the drum system. Do you have any more pics of the unit/install you can share?

Mel,
    Looks great. Nice to see some smaller units as most are fairly big and priced beyond what the rec.boater is willing to spend.
    Hopefully these are competively priced along the Lewmar line up. If so, we should see more of these in use.
    Bk

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    That looks nice. I love the idea even though I haven't used that system. It seems to make the most sense if you have room on your bow. If you don't mind saying, what does something like that cost? How much line were you able to put on your spool?
    This was our smallest unit and holds 550ft of 5/16 double braid and 30' of chain. Plenty strong for up to 26' vessel. The system runs $2950 but you'll still need a pulpit, cable, dual house batteries, switch, breaker ect. Depending on the boat design installation can take 8-16 hrs. The install here was easy. The time consuming part was rewiring the vessel battery system, adding an additional house battery and an ACR

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Nice looking unit. How much rode will this unit hold? Does it "freefall"? What's the cost installed?
    No they do not free spool but at 125'/min it doesn't take long to hit bottom. Total cost install can very depending on the boat. But ranges 5-7k.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    No they do not free spool but at 125'/min it doesn't take long to hit bottom. Total cost install can very depending on the boat. But ranges 5-7k.
    Ouch, nice unit but still too spendy for an anchor puller unless your using the boat to make a living, in my opinion. Bummer 'cause I hear they work grat.
    Bk

Couple more installs

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Ouch, nice unit but still too spendy for an anchor puller unless your using the boat to make a living, in my opinion. Bummer 'cause I hear they work grat.
    Bk
    yea it's not cheap. Cost half the price when rigged at the factory on a new North River but most people tell me it was the best money ever spent on the boat.

Had one put on our boat last spring and love it. Truly push button - no assist needed up front. Such a nice change from the constant jamming of the Lewmar and having to keep a kid up front in the v-berth reaching up into the rope locker to knock down the line. Expensive for sure, but totally worth it.

How much to purchase and do a self installation? It sure would make things easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How much to purchase and do a self installation? It sure would make things easy.
    The small and medium size run $2950. The large, $3150.

It will have to go on the wishlist. I am pretty okay with bouy pulling for the next few years. Other upgrades have a higher priority for us at this point.

ED
    Electronics
    autopilot

I just installed a new drum winch from Hammer Marine. They are an Australian made winch purchased through a dealer in Texas. Shipping to Alaska was fair. The cost for the big bad boy was $2000. It holds 425’ 1/2” rope and 39’ 5/16” chain. They are pretty nice and the warranty is longer than anyone else. I’ll post pics of my install later when I get back to my boat. Meanwhile, here is a link. https://hammermarine.com/shop/anchor...00d-winch-kit/

Just looking at their website and they now have a better option compare to what I bought. The GX3 has a manual release in the event of power failure. That may be a good thing.

Here are the pictures of the winch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by overtime View Post
    Here are the pictures of the winch
    Your pullpit design will cause the rope to ball up on the center of the spool.

Better keep one of these on the boat for when that thing craps out.