Thread: Wishbone Lake

Default Wishbone Lake

Was looking to doing some kayaking/fishing/camping this weekend at Wishbone Lake in the Sutton/Palmer area. Fish and Game says on their website you can drive all the way back there w 4x4 from the Buffalo Mine Rd. Has anyone been back there or know how the road is?

Talking Dry

Quote Originally Posted by vitopure21 View Post
    Was looking to doing some kayaking/fishing/camping this weekend at Wishbone Lake in the Sutton/Palmer area. Fish and Game says on their website you can drive all the way back there w 4x4 from the Buffalo Mine Rd. Has anyone been back there or know how the road is?
    Roads were dry as of mid July.(in good shape) not much mud...I wouldn't reccomend travel with a nice rig... it is either a road for a dedicated 4x4 (or better yet an ATV trail)...... lake was jumping with fish when i was there.... not anyone fishing at that time. I would recommend a 4 wheeler ride to Assess conditions.

This is very easy terrain to navigate on an ATV. However If your crossing moose creek from the buffalo mine road side make sure you're crossing in 1 of the 2 permitted Area's as it is a salmon stream.. Take a right at the pavement end of buffalo mine road...proceed to the campground and take your first left....you should be able to see concrete abuttments where an old bridge used to be over moose creek.... this is the easiest XING.
    The other is down by the preimer mine.(much faster access to the lake). However it can get rough at times,,,I have a Video of my ATV bobbing down stream here there to prove my point.. made it.. but it can get hairy in the wet season.

This Not a big enough lake to justify hauling a kayak out there IMO but to each his own. an inflatable raft might be a better option if you really want to float it.( i bet theres a bunch of better lakes to float)...

I have recent GPS tracks as well as video logs of the area, thus you can make up you're on mind.i f you're interested send me an email and ill be happy to share.

I've heard of folks launching Kayaks and floating moose creek from the campground at pavements end...

Easiest way to get an idea.... is just go camp and explore the area ...Also keep an eye out for no trespassing signs.

Maybe coming in from the Jonesville road side might be a better option.. However there might be some pretty good mud holes and bogs to traverse from that side into wishbone lake this time of year...

good luck ... I had a blast exploring the area myself

Thank you very much. I have gone in from the Jonesville mine side we made it all the way to the northern end of the lake and then there was a huge sinkhole that we were not ready to get stuck in. So we hoofed it all the way to the edge of the lake which just our luck the wind was blowing to the south so no luck with the fish but we saw them jumping farther out. I was just looking for an easier way to spend the night out there.

Great map Alaska Tides - where did you source that??

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by vitopure21 View Post
    Thank you very much. I have gone in from the Jonesville mine side we made it all the way to the northern end of the lake and then there was a huge sinkhole that we were not ready to get stuck in. So we hoofed it all the way to the edge of the lake which just our luck the wind was blowing to the south so no luck with the fish but we saw them jumping farther out. I was just looking for an easier way to spend the night out there.
    That was the Exact Sink hole I was thinking you would have trouble with, coming in from that way... The rest of the trails are excellent ... The easiest for doing what youre trying to do is the buffalo mine Entrance farthest upstream.... Just have to see what the water level looks like... Thats by far the best route for a vehicle...easy going, once you get across moose creek.

The Maps are a digital collection of the USGS quad sheets for the entire state... The disk can be orderd from national geographic for about 100.00 which well worth it imo.... I overlay my gps tracks on them ( as you can see in red) things like power lines as well as add notations where i find posted signs exct.. Ive managed to accumlate quite a data base in the last few years... Its became almost a hobby.