Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats on your feet?

Default Whats on your feet?

I am interested in upgrading from my current hunting boots just looking to see what boots people may have had good experiences with in the past. I am looking for a boot I could use for goats, and that would hold up to the rain in southeast Alaska.

Love, love, love my Lowa Tibets. I'm on my 2nd pair, and I can't imagine a boot working much better for my uses. Stiff enough for goat country, but enough flex that I don't feel like I'm walking in ski boots on the flat land.

I've loved my Tibets....well worth the money.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

La Sportiva Nepal Evo Gtx. Best boot my feet have ever worn in the sheep and goat mountains.

Danner Pronghorns.

Ive used the same pair for 3 years sheep hunting.

Very durable.
    Water Proof,

Geat tread for clinging to sharp rocks,

Very affordable.

LOTS of miles & still No Blisters. ( VERY broken in & the best Under Armor socks help )

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX. I was torn between these and the Nepal's, ended up with the Scarpa's because they just fit my feet a little better. 6 years now and 6 mt. hunts and my feet couldn't be happier. I also do all my training in them (hiking, backpacking, etc.) and they have tons of life left in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first serious pair of mountain boots were Scarpa Jorasses Pro GTX and they served me well, actually used them out-of-the box on a successful goat hunt with no problems. Continued to use them for everything over the next 5 years and eventually the insulation on the inside began to wear down and my foot began to slide around and form blisters. Have switched to Lowa Tibet this winter and put a few mountains on them thus far. Quite pleased, a little softer and like Brian said, more forgiving on the flats. Walked around in some pretty soggy muskegs and crossed a lot of little creeks this summer/fall and they have kept my feet very dry. Their extra height is a plus, I think they would suite your SE goat needs well.

Scarpa Inverno's with Intuition liners...toughest boots in the world and can handle anything you can throw at them. They are not for everyone though and wouldn't be my first choice if there's a lot of flat hiking with minimal nasty/shale climbing.

Lowa Civetta for mountain hunting. Meindel Alaskan Hunter for all else. Have used the Meindel's for mountain as well and they worked awesome.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Zamberlan Guides GTX. Not a bad thing to say about these boots. I have roughly 60 or 70 miles on them so far, had a little heel slippage at first but that was because I wasn't wearing my liners. Liners in and I'm good to go! A majority of the miles has been above the tree line here in very wet SE AK. Stiff enough to make scrambling up high a breeze, yet flexible enough to make trail walking comfortable. I do however tighten the boots up when I am up in the nasty stuff just for a little extra rigidness. I have crossed steams in these higher than my gaiters and my feet have remained 100% dry. I'm not sure if the kudos goes to my kuiu gaiters or the zamberlans. Either way, I'm a happy camper. Hopefully these boots can get me close enough to seal the deal on a nice billy in a few weeks.

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

Here's my vote for the kenetrek mountain extreme. I'm on my second pair and only because after several hundred miles and 6 years guiding they finally started to leak. The tread was about wore off but they are about the most comfortable boot I've ever bought and I still wear the old pair if it's not going to be wet just because they are still in great shape. My new pair have been dry so far and I'm more than happy with them. I have hunted everything from goat to elk in these boots and have been more than happy every time I put them on.

Living like kings

I bought the HanWag Trapper GTX boot from Barney's Sports Chalet in anchorage this spring. I have about 70 miles on these boots so far, including a successful sheep hunt. I'm very pleased with the boots so far and highly recommend them.

http://barneyssports.com/footwear/le...apper-gtx.html

Go to Barney's and AMH if you can. Try on many different pairs of boots and see what fits your foot best. Every foot is different and one boot that's great for me might give you hell and literally burn your feet up. One thing I would look for is a boot with a stiff enough toe you can "front point" with it, regardless of the manufacturer. Lots of good suggestions here, consider them all, go try on some boots and see what your feet tell you about it.

Default Whats on your feet?

I use the lowa gtx hunters. I have used the danners but here in Kodiak the salt water just kills them after less than 1 season. I am on season 5 with my lowa's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wear the Salewa Raven - nice mix of flex and stiffness. I'm lucky and don't blister very easily. They keep my feet toasty even in the rare damp shoe situation. It's wise to not cross water above the ol' gaiters...

For years it was the Lowa sheep hunters, but I got tired of wet boots and all the hassle with stream crossings. So for sheep hunting this year, I used Koflach Degre boots with the Barney's glacier socks. Boots never got wet from the outside. But they did get wet a little from the inside...lol

Great boots though, very tough, great stiffness. Not bad at all on flat ground. They do suck on flat ground that is really hard, like the street in my neighborhood. But on dirt, no problems.

Due to them being too hot, I'll probably reserve them for hunts where there are a lot of stream crossings and/or later in the season. Probably back to Lowa's for everything else though.

Everything you want to know.......and then some: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...archid=3653079
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jwfishak View Post
    Go to Barney's and AMH if you can. Try on many different pairs of boots and see what fits your foot best. Every foot is different and one boot that's great for me might give you hell and literally burn your feet up. One thing I would look for is a boot with a stiff enough toe you can "front point" with it, regardless of the manufacturer. Lots of good suggestions here, consider them all, go try on some boots and see what your feet tell you about it.

Rock solid advice. I spent nearly 2 hours at AMH, the salesman was extremely patient and knew his stuff. Tried a bunch of different options and got the perfect fitting boot. Happy feet, happy and productive hunter.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

No votes for xtratuffs? Seriously, boots are very foot specific. What works great for one guy might be very uncomfortable for the next guy. That's why you see about 15 different boots from 18 posters. Get a list of one's you want to try, and start trying them on.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I'm a fan of the Meindel boots as well. I've had a pair of the Canada boot for 12 years that are still wearable. Also, I have a pair of Denali that I really like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast