Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Ram

Default My First Ram

This year I broke the ice on a solo hunt. It was my first trip out for opening day. Working in the school district and having the sheep opener happen at the same time as first week back to work for staff always made it difficult to get out, but this year I made it happen.
    I got in on Saturday evening and passed sheep on the way in. That was encouraging! Sunday i had sheep in view all day long and put three groups to bed. Monday morning I stuck my head out of the tent at 4:00am and they were still bedded above my tent but even closer and at an angle that I was busted as soon as I crawled out. I sat and watched them for a couple hours to let them make the first move. They grazed their way down the slope and I decided to give it a go even though I am sure they saw me for much of the beginning of the stock. I had a rock picked out that I thought would get me in range and cover enough to get a shot. It must have been the opening day lack of jitters that they didn't spook.
    I shuttled the meat and my camp down the creek to the start of the climb out. Tuesday morning with fresh legs, I shuttled the two loads out to my truck.
    8 years old, 34 1/2" x 32 5/8" (broken) 13 1/2 bases

Awesome! I would love to do this but have no idea where to drive and hike in for such a thing without the assistance of a plane like most.

That's a great ram! Thanks for sharing your story.

Man, that first picture with your ram with the band of sheep in the background is just too cool. Nicely done! As a teacher I can appreciate how difficult this is to pull off. Very well done, and thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    This year I broke the ice on a solo hunt. It was my first trip out for opening day. Working in the school district and having the sheep opener happen at the same time as first week back to work for staff always made it difficult to get out, but this year I made it happen.
    I got in on Saturday evening and passed sheep on the way in. That was encouraging! Sunday i had sheep in view all day long and put three groups to bed. Monday morning I stuck my head out of the tent at 4:00am and they were still bedded above my tent but even closer and at an angle that I was busted as soon as I crawled out. I sat and watched them for a couple hours to let them make the first move. They grazed their way down the slope and I decided to give it a go even though I am sure they saw me for much of the beginning of the stock. I had a rock picked out that I thought would get me in range and cover enough to get a shot. It must have been the opening day lack of jitters that they didn't spook.
    I shuttled the meat and my camp down the creek to the start of the climb out. Tuesday morning with fresh legs, I shuttled the two loads out to my truck.
    8 years old, 34 1/2" x 32 5/8" (broken) 13 1/2 bases

You sir are the man!!! I envy you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you! Fantastic!.... how'd you'd escape the snow/rain/sleet the rest of us seemed to have!?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Great rewarding hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Man, that first picture with your ram with the band of sheep in the background is just too cool. Nicely done! As a teacher I can appreciate how difficult this is to pull off. Very well done, and thanks for sharing!

Brian I have to agree that is probably one of the best pictures I seen on the forums in a long time... Congrats to the OP as well great story great pictures..

Nice work Dale! It's always a little easier to start the year with a successful hunt in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks Brian and 323. thanks to self timer technology!
    Here is another pic I kinda like too. I wish I had taken the gun out of this one though....anyone know how to fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Good for you! Fantastic!.... how'd you'd escape the snow/rain/sleet the rest of us seemed to have!?
    I dont Know exactly, but it wasnt completely free of weather. I had rain squalls each afternoon, but not enough to be miserable.
    Thanks

Beautiful! Congratulations! Wonderful photos! Making me wish I was in the mountains this year.

Thanks for sharing a great story and pics.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nice sheep / nice write up.
    Congratulations.
    Wes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations! With a short schedule and a solo hunt, you've set the bar quite high. So what was you rifle and caliber setup?
    Any equipment comments - good or bad?

Congratulations, I remember the feeling of my first Ram......tears were shed.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Congratulations! With a short schedule and a solo hunt, you've set the bar quite high. So what was you rifle and caliber setup?
    Any equipment comments - good or bad?
    Thank you.
    I have a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. I like how it shoots but I am not impressed with the way it feeds rounds from magazine to chamber. I have had problems with that. I sent it back to Kimber and they said nothing is wrong...???

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    Nice sheep / nice write up.
    Congratulations.
    Wes
    Thanks Wes, That is great!

Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Springer View Post
    Congratulations, I remember the feeling of my first Ram......tears were shed.
    It's a surreal feeling. It's different than any other kind of experience for the ones who seek out the mountains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast