Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Mile Caribou Reports

Default 40 Mile Caribou Reports

Anybody have any reports on the 40 mile caribou herd? I will have a few extra days off around Labor day this year and I was entertaining the thought of driving up there. I haven't hunted up there in awhile so I was kind of curious if anybody has some new reports. One reason why I typically shy away from hunting up there is because it's such a long drive. The other reason why I typically avoid going up there is because it seems to always get shut down by an EO fairly early. I was actually thinking about taking my raft and doing a little float for a couple days. I've seen some nice bulls on the 40 mile river before.

I delivered a Lifesize Brown Bear to Central a couple weeks ago & when we came backwe stopped & Glassed on the tops of the hills.

We saw around 10 Caribou, No big Bulls, but atleast we did see some.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

I've been talking to F&G in Tok. According to satellite collars, there are not many bou within 10 miles of the Steese. F&G is supposed to fly, weather permitting, tomorrow the 24th. Check with the Tok office later this week.
    Thanks for the report RJ. Gives me hope it may be worth driving up when it opens.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Any reports from opening day. My buddy went up the Taylor and said they did not see any caribou nor any success by other people he talked to.

I drove up the steese highway today and didn't see any. I spent all day up there between 12 mile and eagle summit glassing and doing a little hiking with no luck. I only saw two caribou taken. I would really like to get some caribou meat for the freezer. I am looking for a hunting partner to hunt the 40 mile caribou herd. I don't have a 4 wheeler. I had plans with people twice and both fell through. I have all the gear I need for hunting and processing

word on the street they are still in zone 2...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    word on the street they are still in zone 2...
    Yeah that's what ADF&G are saying on their hotline.

We hunted zone 3. Got in Saturday mid day, seen 9 Saturday, seen 11 Sunday, shot mine and was home in Anchorage by 11PM. Seen several on the way out in trucks but not anything like they are when they are there thick. Animals are there, you have to be patient and sit and glass. If you hunt it, and know where they typically travel through saddles and such, you can tag out. We all did
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by steeliekingfisher View Post
    We hunted zone 3. Got in Saturday mid day, seen 9 Saturday, seen 11 Sunday, shot mine and was home in Anchorage by 11PM. Seen several on the way out in trucks but not anything like they are when they are there thick. Animals are there, you have to be patient and sit and glass. If you hunt it, and know where they typically travel through saddles and such, you can tag out. We all did
    I glassed all day sunday and didn't see anything. I guess I don't know their travel routes. I was along the highway and hiked a couple miles out.

I was out scouting Saturday and hunting all day yesterday and this morning near the Y on the Taylor. saw three but they were over 700yds away and I stood no chance of stalking them in the open terrain. Talked to several people and the troops. Guess I was lucky to see what I did. In chicken now and going to hang out around here and see if they are having any better luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to FB from Anch. Was on the way up the Steese and a buddies called. No body getting anything (noboby seeing anything). They said everyone had been wet for 3 days with light snow and high winds and caribou were not in Zone 1. I was disappointed and decided not to keep my kid out of school or get us sick and returned home. I wanted to go up the Taylor, but the weather was crappy there too and I would have had to find and make a camp in the dark.

Spent today, Monday, out the Steese. No sign of Bou or people getting Bou. Drove to Circle Hot Springs and then on past there on a road that goes back to some mines. Several groups camped back there. ATV trails on the ridges there going south to Birch Cr. No one seeing much for bou but word is they are still moving north.
    Several vehicles parked in the Upper Birch Cr. camp/bridge. Maybe floating from the upper bridge to the lower bridge would get a guy in to Bou.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Got back last night. Went up to Chicken on Friday, camped up around 30 miles back on Chicken Ridge. Saw a nice group of about a dozen with 5 nice bulls walk about 50 yards from camp at last light on Friday night, so got very excited. Didn't see anything on Saturday. We both drove around scouting and glassed a few spots. Sunday, we saw a few groups of cows, one juvenile bull. A group on the other side of the ridge managed to smack down three nice bulls at first light, but other than that there was very limited success out there. There are a few caribou out there, just not many and very spotty. It was my first time out there, so not sure what the weather is usually like, but it was in the teens and 20s on the ridge with the wind howling. Made for some rough camping, I was jealous of the groups with arctic oven setups, haha. It was snowing pretty hard with very limited vis yesterday morning, and I had to work today so we packed up camp and headed out in the morning. Still amazed at all the jerks who showed up opening day driving around back and forth on the ridge all morning.

I just came out of Zone 2 via Super Cub a couple days ago. Yes...2 is holding many, many animals. I saw 2 different radio-collared cows while hunting.

I hunted Mastadon Creek on Sunday. I estimate there were at least 200 (probably more) hunters in that general area. We saw two bulls on the backs of ATVs out on the tundra. A trooper checked us on the way back to the truck. He said he had seen 15 bulls harvested (was around 1500ish on Sunday when we spoke to the trooper). I did not see any harvested bulls on the ride back down the Steese into Fairbanks.

Does anybody know where the caribou are heading? Or are they mostly milling around in zone 2?

Quote Originally Posted by alexl View Post
    Does anybody know where the caribou are heading? Or are they mostly milling around in zone 2?
    caribou head where ever they want. Close to 10 years ago most of the herd was piled on the Taylor side and for some unknown reason a few days before season a large chunk left and headed towards the steese and made it in short order. From what I've herd from some pilots they are hanging out in upper zone 2.

Just got back tonight, seen 1 nice bull and 4 cows Saturday before the opener, then it snowed and blowed. Daughter got a small bull Sunday morning, seen 15 total caribou Sunday, 3 small Bulls, rest cows, calves. Monday went in further like 49 miles roughly and rhino overheated after getting swamped in a bog, got to the top and seen 3 real dandy Bulls on the next ridge west. Didn't want to chance blowing up the motor so we limped back down, washed the radiator in the creek, set up camp, came back in this morning at 9 no problem. If it's still open I'll go next weekend with the wheeler and light. Big big Bulls further west.

Hoytguy
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Hotline was updated today. 77 bou have been harvested in zone 3 so far. Majority of the heard still remains in zone 2.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast