Thread: Battery Tender

Default Battery Tender

My Polaris 550 needs a Battery Tender to keep her battery fully charged. What's my best solution. I keep her at our remote properly and basically goes from the dock to the porch. Doesn't get rode enough to keep batt up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    My Polaris 550 needs a Battery Tender to keep her battery fully charged. What's my best solution. I keep her at our remote properly and basically goes from the dock to the porch. Doesn't get rode enough to keep batt up

The problem I can see is that you need electrical power to power the battery tender. During the summer you could use a 12-volt solar battery maintainer to keep the battery charged, but not during the winter since it's so dark.

Another solution would be to remove the battery and keep it charged at home, then when you need to use the ATV at your remote location, to install it on the ATV. All depends on when you use the ATV, summer or winter. If you only use it during the summer, then a solar maintainer should work.

Have you ever tried to wrestle the battery out of one of these Polaris ATVs. Pain in the rear, I'm convinced the manufacture never thought you would have to change the battery. I'm hoping I can attach a pigtail to the battery leads so I can simply plug in a trickle charge on her.

All three of the battery tenders I use (CTEK and Battery Tender brands) came with leads that can be permanently attached to the battery allowing quick plug and play connections.

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    Have you ever tried to wrestle the battery out of one of these Polaris ATVs. Pain in the rear, I'm convinced the manufacture never thought you would have to change the battery. I'm hoping I can attach a pigtail to the battery leads so I can simply plug in a trickle charge on her.

If you have electric power, then a Battery Tender will be just about perfect. It will keep the battery fully charged.

I thought that you didn't have electricity at your remote location

Most ATV use AGM batteries, the last time I look Battery Tender they do not make one for AGM. Using the wrong charger on a battery will effect the long turn battery life. If that a problem use a charger design for AGM battery.

Thanks Morsno Hey Ray we have running water too

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Most ATV use AGM batteries, the last time I look Battery Tender they do not make one for AGM. Using the wrong charger on a battery will effect the long turn battery life. If that a problem use a charger design for AGM battery.
    I have yet to own or see an ATV with a factory AGM, lead acid is the norm.

I used to have a Honda and still have a Yamaha and Polaris ATV they all came with AGM batteries.

You better check again....and bring a little distilled water

Back on subject

AGMs are lead acid batteries. Different than flooded lead acid batteries but still based on lead and acid.