Thread: DS 204 Jarvis/Riley Creek Area

Default DS 204 Jarvis/Riley Creek Area

Hey everyone, I was lucky enough to draw this tag this year. Been doing all the research I can and I'm super excited for this trip. Just curious if anyone on here has hunted this part of the DCUA and willing to share any tips/advice or stories! PM if you would like. Thanks in advance!

Lotsa rain the past week and more forecast making access difficult.

Have been hearing reports of decent numbers of rams. I'm in Tok right now, and as Vern mentioned, it has been wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend and I just filled his tag in one of the drainages that you are focused on. Jarvis Cr was high during most of the hunt. It was wadeable during all but 1 day. A 24 hr rain event had all of the streams raging such that we could not even cross the small streams. However, water levels go down about as fast as they rise. Jarvis braids out quite a bit about 2 miles upstream from where the Coal Mine Rd trail hits the creek. There are good crossings there. We hiked in about 18 miles to find rams. I won't tell you where we saw other legal rams as that would spoil the thrill of the "hunt" for you - I've already said enough. The rams were in typical ram country - glass them up! We ran into another tag holder who took a ram from the same area. There was another tag holder headed into Riley Cr when we were packing out. I'll post some pics and a short story in a day or two. Best of luck filling your tag and have a grand adventure! Just to make sure you don't sleep at night, the attached photo is of a very nice ram who remains at large in the area
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the replies everyone! Especially Jpost, I'm not sleeping as it is now and that picture definitely won't help any! Like I said earlier, I'm super excited for this hunt. I've hunted up here for 20+ years but this will be my first sheep hunt. I've dropped 45 pounds and spent more money on upgrading gear than I care to mention. Can't wait! I'll report back on my trip at the end of season. Thanks again!

A friend and I are headed there on Saturday but we won't be hunting sheep. I've drawn that tag twice and taken a ram both times. There's good sheep numbers in there but it's not a walk in the park by any means.

We'll be in the camp by Little Gold King Creek, stop by and say hi if you get a chance.

The camp called the "Taj Mahal"?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    A friend and I are headed there on Saturday but we won't be hunting sheep. I've drawn that tag twice and taken a ram both times. There's good sheep numbers in there but it's not a walk in the park by any means.

We'll be in the camp by Little Gold King Creek, stop by and say hi if you get a chance.

That's the one J.