Thread: My hunting pack

Default My hunting pack

I have a hunting pack that is a good name brand .but I have trouble with it seeming to cut in to my shoulders it has a chest strap up high but I seem to think if it had another lower it would work better.any opinions welcome

You may not have it adjusted properly to where there's more weight on your hips.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I agree with 4merguide, I find on most of my packs that they arent comfortable until I get the adjustment just right. I usually have to loosen the straps that connect the top of the frame to the upper part of the should straps, allowing the pack to come off my upper back a little bit and sit a nicer on my hips. Just remember when you are carrying a pack, the majority of the weight should be resting on your hips, not your shoulders.

I have spent many a long miles with a pack on my back between hunting, fishing, and the Army, and it seems like I constantly have to adjust the straps depending if I am going up hill, down hill, etc. to keep the shoulder straps from tiring my shoulders, but the one thing that remains constant is the majority of the weight is on my hips and off my shoulders.

Sometimes though, despite the infinite amount of adjustments that you can make on a pack, they just dont seem to fit correctly. If thats the case, its time for a new pack. If you are using an external frame, my personal favorites are the Alice pack and my Cabelas external frame. Though neither are high end packs, they just seem to fit me the best. if you cant get the adjustments right, sometimes they just dont fit and it may be time to find a new pack.

[QUOTE=AlaskanDan;1498962]

Sometimes though, despite the infinite amount of adjustments that you can make on a pack, they just dont seem to fit correctly. If thats the case, its time for a new pack. QUOTE]

Could be, but before the op goes for another pack, make sure he has actually used some of those infinite amount of adjustments on most packs nowadays, and/or go online to see a video of how to correctly set it up for your size, or take it in to a pack shop that can help do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanDan View Post

Sometimes though, despite the infinite amount of adjustments that you can make on a pack, they just dont seem to fit correctly. If thats the case, its time for a new pack. .

Could be, but before the op goes for another pack, make sure he has actually used some of those infinite amount of adjustments on most packs nowadays, and/or go online to see a video of how to correctly set it up for your size, or take it in to a pack shop that can help do it.

I completely agree, try and expend every means necessary prior to getting rid of it.

There are also plenty of alteration shops around JBER that work with webbing and straps quite often for the military guys, and if the chest straps needs to be lowered a little to accommodate, or straps moved/lengthened, most of those alterations shops are very experienced in sewing webbing and straps for us military guys. Its a whole lot cheaper to spend $15 on an alteration, than 200+ on a new pack.

Likewise, a lot of those places will also resole boots, so if you have your favorite old combat or hunting boots with worn out soles, its about 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of a new pair of boots.

If your shoulder straps are still digging in to your shoulders or don't fit right after adjusting, run down to Barneys in Anchorage and see if you can buy their straps as a replacement. Those things are THICK and bad*****!! I've gone through several packframes over the years, all being name-brand stuff. They've "worked", but the fit was always questionable for some reason of another. It also could have been my body design compared to other folks too, who knows..
    Anyways, I just got my first Barney pack and had them fit it to me. Oh Man! What a difference.. The suspension and padding is incredible.
    I wish I'd have done this years ago...