Thread: Gulkana River Report 8/22

Default Gulkana River Report 8/22

Hi Guys:

I have been getting quite a few calls and emails about water levels on the Gulkana so here we go..

We had 2 very hard days of rain out this way and all the rivers are benefiting from the increased flow. The Gulkana is up to normal levels and for you guys who are doing float hunts for Moose and Caribou are going to love it. The canyon is almost normal as well as the West Fork but muddy.

We had a group of Germans who just finished doing Tangle to Dickey to the middle fork and they suffered with low water for the first 6 days. The recent rain really helped them out from the confluence of the Middle Fork down to Sourdough but that was not really where they needed it. They did report 2 groups of caribou on the Middle Fork just out of Dickey Lake and another about a days float above the West Fork and I am guessing it was near the Middle Fork trail(?)

We have 2 remaining rafts packages for the Gulkana River hunting season with the other dozen rafts headed to Kotz in about a week. If you need any gear let me know quickly as i plan to ship my Kotzebue Gear load on NAC Aug 30. I have 1 SOAR Canoe and 2 drop camps remaining for Kotz.

Good luck, stay dry and be safe out there!

Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more fun!!

Some more pics from the past few years
    Attached Images Attached Images