Thread: Kasilof dipnetting questions

Default Kasilof dipnetting questions

Hi im going to make my first red dipnetting trip the 4th of july week on the kasilof. I know i have to dipnet down by the mouth but i did not know the best way to do it and when. should i dipnet incoming tide anchored up out of my boat or what is going to be the most productive way for me to fish this river. I figured dipnetting high tide would be tough even though they are moving through. also i sweep for the fish or just hold the net in place and wait. Any tips would be great thanks vance

Default You are in for a great surprise.

First off; you need to know if the fish are going to be there in good numbers and the way to find that out is to call the hotline - 907.262.9611; second if you fish from a boat you will be putzing up river and drifting down and risk running into the massive fishing boats going in and out (some are not friendly to dipnetters) in that case you'll be holding your net in place with a safety teather of some sort in case you lose your grip; if you are doing it from the bank there are several advantages...

1. You can get out of the way of the wakes from the boats
    2. You are shore based and have less gear up/gear down time
    3. You can drive up to the fishing site in your 4x4
    4. You can fish whenever you like (it's open 24 hours vs. the Kenai)
    5. There's no parking fee

As far as tides go; the incoming is good about 45 minutes after it changes and the outgoing is good right after it ebbs up until about 1 hour before it bottoms out (so I've experienced; results may differ from mine).

Now for the drawbacks;

1. The fish are smaller
    2. You compete almost directly with the shore gillnets and commercial guys
    3. You can't keep a King from the Kasilof
    4. There aren't any bathrooms close by (at least there wasn't last year)
    5. The currents are quite strong and the Kenai "Shuffle" really is only an option a small part of the river
    6. The really good spot to fish is the point and it's usually pretty crowded
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I wish I still had my old inflatable to dipnet at the Kasilof. Motor upstream (still at the mouth) and drift down while your net is in the water. Then start over again. Commercial guys go through now and then. Just get out of the way.

Default Dipnetting Kasilof Alaska 2010

Kasilof Alaska dipnetting 2010 update. Today, 25 June 2010 dipnetting for Sockeye on the Kasilof started off very slow. 24 hours later I had netted the sum of eleven fish. Some other dipnetters were doing slightly better. The fish are bright chrome, healthy and energized. More males than fewer females. The meat is rich and firm.

I hope somebody can use this post and enjoy the pics.

Default The picture of these two makes me laugh!!!

BC ROBB was about knocked into the water by these two in the picture. At least twice!!! Everyone had maybe the longest of 20 foot nets and these two had at least a 30 plus net. Didn't speak English and stole your spot if they saw you got more than one fish a minute. They just took this totally unweldly net and shoved it down the beach w/o a care of who it hit or pushed out of the way. Every one was well behaved except for the two pictured. Some people say the young guy, Maybe Korean, was more afraid of his Mother( red coat) than all of those pissed off dippers. She was constantly screaming at him in some dialect but they wanted their fish and to Heck with anyone else. That was sad!!! That was the only downside of the opener. BTW, I was the out of shape dipper with a smile on his face. After working the water for six hours with maybe two fish to show, I finally hooked up with about 20 fish in 30 minutes. The low tide is the best place to be!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Cartoon Net

Yeah; those guys were brutal. I was almost pushed into the fast water (very close to the bank) when he was coming in and I had to yell "HEY, HEY, HEY WAIT A SECOND!!!"

Not a minute later, the gal next to me gets a fish and gets out and he comes in and shoves his net against mine as I'm pulling a fish out of it and he starts shoving even harder, almost knocking me over in the water and into the fast current AGAIN.

After a burst of curt words and threatening him he finally left to go bug someone else.

Keep your eye out for these folks,they are rude and dangerous - they'll knock you into the water without thinking twice about it.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Wink Fish Pic

I'd like to inquire if the requirement to clip the tails of dipped fish has changed or not?

Yes I can read the regs and figure it out for myself, but it might get others thinking about and reading about this very issue if I just ask the question out right.

Yes you must still clip the tails.

Default Tails clipping, regulations...

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail1der View Post
    I'd like to inquire if the requirement to clip the tails of dipped fish has changed or not?

Yes I can read the regs and figure it out for myself, but it might get others thinking about and reading about this very issue if I just ask the question out right.

Yes, the tail tips are supposed to be cut but, I didn't want a strange looking fish for the picture so I saved one uncut.