Thread: Hamilton Jet Question

Question Hamilton Jet Question

This should be a simple question as I would guess it has happened to many people. I just don't have any experience with these jet units. I was with a friend earlier this week and we were using a Johnson 50HP outboard and a Hamilton jet unit. On the fourth day, I pushed away from the shore and he fired up the engine and immediately noticed that there was no water coming out the side. He did a complete shutdown in under a minute's time, so the engine should be fine. We were able to get the boat back into the boathouse and we removed the jet unit without any problems. Pulled the shaft and got to the water pump/impeller. QUESTION: Is there a way to remove this housing from the shaft? I removed the four bolts on the top, but it only allows the housing the plastic housing to rotate. Didn't want to force it, and figured there must be a Key on the shaft. Just looking for a simple explanation as he took the shaft to a shop for repairs, thank goodness we had the big boat to get back home
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

75 views and no one knows anything???
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    75 views and no one knows anything???
    I'm sure it's a specialty jet not a Hamilton your referring to. If you've pulled the jet you should be able to unbolt the impeller housing a slide it up and off the shaft. You can find a parts break down of your jet at outboardjet.com. If you need parts just give us a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    I'm sure it's a specialty jet not a Hamilton your referring to. If you've pulled the jet you should be able to unbolt the impeller housing a slide it up and off the shaft. You can find a parts break down of your jet at outboardjet.com. If you need parts just give us a call.
    Does it take "force" to pull the housing off? We removed the four bolts and the plastic housing moved up about 1/4" then seemed to stick. Didn't want to force it though. I just "assumed" it was a Hamilton, but it probably is something from Johnson. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Does it take "force" to pull the housing off? We removed the four bolts and the plastic housing moved up about 1/4" then seemed to stick. Didn't want to force it though. I just "assumed" it was a Hamilton, but it probably is something from Johnson. Thanks for the input!
    It's a specialty jet pump, Probably L60 model I'm guessing. The housing should lift off exposing the impeller. You likely need an entire new water pump kit which will come w new housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    It's a specialty jet pump, Probably L60 model I'm guessing. The housing should lift off exposing the impeller. You likely need an entire new water pump kit which will come w new housing.
    Thanks again :-) Appreciate the info.

Its really common for an outboard jet to pickup sand/silt while running. It pumps this through the cooling system. Its more common than not that this material plugs up the little pisser hole on the side of the outboard. push a small wire or something up there and see if that does it. Again, very common, and very simple.