Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Black Bear I Ever Shot...

Default Biggest Black Bear I Ever Shot...

OK, ok, some of u are on to me. Yeah, ok, it IS the FIRST 'black' bear I shot in my life. No big huge story, this bear. I posted on short notice to see if I could get someone to accompany me on a (in my mind) sure fire black bear attempt for yesterday ( Thursday) in Seward. Not surprisingly the response could not be consummated with such short notice. Therefore, I opted to remain nearer home and scout/hunt another area known locally to me.
    I had a couple buddies that were going berry picking and I tagged along thinking they were going to this area I wanted to check out. After glassing for a short while where and while they picked I soon discovered they were not planning on going where I had hoped. So off I went. About 30 minutes later and a couple quick stop and glass sessions I stopped for a third time. I was in high berry country with a few bushes and few trees to block views. Within a few minutes I eyeballed moving black spot not to far away. A quick look thru the binos proves it to be an adequate black bear. Rangefinder tells me it's 337 yrds away across the valley's far wall. A light steady wind was in my favor and the Bears movement was down valley with the wind. Also to my advantage. I made a half loop away from the valley and back to its edge hoping to intercept at my estimated timing point. Thinking I would have to wait 5 minutes for the bear to come down to this intercept point I quickly realized the bear was right there in front of me. Ranged at 117 yards. I watched and waited thru my 4.5 x 14 leupold on my Tikka 30-06 with a 220 grain federal load in it. When she made a right angle to me I let fly, trying to blow both shoulders out. Bear went down instantly and merely twitched its front foot a couple times. Dead bear.
    Shot placement right on the money and after a quick 100 yard drag downhill I was in position to gut then load the bear onto the wheeler for its ride home to my garage.
    Last night I skinned him and today some of her parts went for a ride. Squared at five feet. 15 3/8" skull. Medium sized female and belly full of watermelon berries. Should be tasty.
    Soliciting for advice on what to do with the meat. Sausage it all?? And where to process it (on the Pen?). Echo Lake Meats?
    Anyone.... Thanks!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Right on...Congrats...!!! There are all kinds of things to do with the meat.....so I'll let you decide that. But, if you've never done it before, just take a big chunk of a ham, put a little salt and pepper on it and throw it in the oven. Maybe set it on a low rack in the pot so it won't sit in too much fat....if it has much. This will give you a good idea on how this bear really tastes. If it's been in the berries for long, and being a young bear, it should be excellent eating...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I can't say I wasn't confused when I saw the thread with your name. Congrats on the bear!

Awesome, now you can concentrate on predator calling, heck we should get together and try and call bears! Where is the pictures? My wife went and bought a grinder from Sportsmans (LEM #8 I think) and we did 20 lbs. of caribou burger sausage and pepperoni with a kit from Sportsman's and it was all awesome, that little grinder had no trouble, give it a try, its pretty fun! We got our pork fat from IGA for 2.50 a pound. Give me a call if you want to discuss further.

Congrats on the bear, berry bears are usully delicious!
    Fresh burger is always great.
    Bk

Tried to post some pics off the iPhone like I often do/did. Couldn't get it to load this time. Will get on PC later and post a couple.
    I like the idea of getting a grinder. With the spare time I now have I'll be doing more harvesting. And don't forget, still got a couple bear tags to fill -- and there's surely more bears out where I was.
    I'm looking forward to the pred hunting and it probably would be fun to give it a real try for bears. I almost brought my pred hand call with on that trip but didn't as I was afraid I would get TOO sidetracked on it. (I've seen a couple yotes just the last couple weeks around).
    I will give 4mers roast idea a try and go from there. It's always nice to get a 'real' taste of the game in its simple form first, I think. Decades ago I was given a Blackie ham and was told 'You will really enjoy this'. I remember being shocked at the disgusting flavor on my first try with it. Next day, determined to see what could be wrong with my cooking of it, I cut up another piece, removing ALL fat and gristle on it. Fried it up with onions and mushrooms and REALLY did enjoy it then. Don't remember if berry bear or not.

Italian or hot breakfast sausage. Brats if you have a guy that will do them.

I realize your in the peninsula, but getting your meat processed by Glenn's wild game at muldoon/parks hwy area is worth the effort.
    Have some bacon burger, breakfast, or chorizo sausage made.....all are excellent choices.
    He's the best butcher I have dealt with, products are always great, and reasonable prices plus turn around time.
    Bk

We had my wife's bear turned into bacon and bacon burger. Both were absolutely excellent.

Nicely done! Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Reading your story gave me goosebumps. I'll be up there on the 2nd and I can't wait. Congrats on the bear and let us know how it tastes. I would love to see those pics.

Congrats. Steaks should be great, especially the straps. I do most of my game in the crockpot as a one pot meal and berry bear would be superb!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Fried it up with onions and mushrooms and REALLY did enjoy it then. Don't remember if berry bear or not.
    Imo, how long a bear has been on the berries will make a big difference on how good it tastes. It may be a little early still, and your bear may have just gotten around to eating a bunch of them, as there are still lots of fish in the rivers. But seeing that it's a young bear it still should be pretty darn good. How did it smell? The last few blackies I've killed were in late Oct, and pretty much died with a mouthful of blue berries. These bears actually smelled sweet, and I think were the cleanest animals I've ever dressed out.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Imo, how long a bear has been on the berries will make a big difference on how good it tastes. It may be a little early still, and your bear may have just gotten around to eating a bunch of them, as there are still lots of fish in the rivers. But seeing that it's a young bear it still should be pretty darn good. How did it smell? The last few blackies I've killed were in late Oct, and pretty much died with a mouthful of blue berries. These bears actually smelled sweet, and I think were the cleanest animals I've ever dressed out.

I did not notice any bear smell at all either in the field or hanging in the garage. Didn't even think of the smell factor till u mentioned it. I grilled some of the ribs yesterday. They were really good with the Monterrey seasoning that the wife applied. I butchered the ribs so that the backbone still has some short ribs attached to the spine. I also grilled one of those sections but have not yet sampled it.
    I have just a bit of cutting to do this morning on the main lower back area and a rear quarter. I mostly chunked up pieces for hamburger or grinding meat. I see why everyone suggests burger, sausage, brats etc. As it is the easiest way for a NON butcher to cut meat. Ham steaks off the rear quarters just do NOT hold together like a beef steak you buy looks/does.
    One other IMPORTANT observation.... A really SHARP knife is essential! for meat cutting. Havalon here I come. (Thx limon, I'm hip to your tip).
    it appears Echo Lakes won't do bear do to the Tric factor but I got good info from Mark there. Thx Mark.
    Tried to post pics from laptop for better than an hour yesterday to no avail. Only took one field pic anyhow but got a couple of the hide and bullet hole in carcus that I thought would interes. Will try on the desktop PC in loft sometime later to post em.
    Pretty nice to be able to process the whole animal while its hanging AT HOME in your garage. I've decided I mite be getting to old to be doing that kind of stuff in the feild. I will say a black bear sized game is about right for one guy to handle/ process.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I've decided I mite be getting to old to be doing that kind of stuff in the feild. I will say a black bear sized game is about right for one guy to handle/ process.
    Ha...!!! Yesterday I helped dress out and pack a young bull moose my buddy killed with an arrow..... approx. a whopping 300 yard pack. He's a few years younger than me and when we almost got back to our last stopping point he turned to me and said, "This is about the heaviest and furthest I think I ever want to pack." I was up pretty late taking care of a lot of blood shot due to a bad first shot. If I wouldn't have known that an arrow did this damage I wouldn't have believed it. Needless to say, my back was, and still is a bit stiff after all that.

As we were field dressing that bull, I stopped for a minute and mentioned that it was hard to believe that I used to do up a whole moose by myself.

Yes, time marches on.....lol

My caribou this year was your, maybe 1 or 2 years old and I'm glad he wasn't any bigger! Got him a mile down the mountain in one load.

I did the majority of that caribou with the little havalon and some of the tougher parts with a 4" folder my wife carries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the best bear I've eaten was cured a salted, corned meat.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I believe that Custom Seafoods is the only processor in the central KP that will handle bears...

Wife and I love bear steak, pound it with a pulverizer to tender it and do so after you season to taste as it will be the seasoning into the meat nicely. Roll in flour and fry on low heat! Yummy ! Congrats on the harvest!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Cod - if you're into sausage - you have to try this recipe.
    It is the very best recipe I've ever had. We use it for burgers.

http://thespicysausage.com/recipes/g...arysausage.htm
    Congratulations on your bear and thank you for sharing your story with us. Glad to hear the Tikka was reliable and effective!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Ok. Trying pics w tapatalk.
    Only took one pic in the field after I had drug it down to the atv. If this one works I'll add some other shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast