Thread: Duck Cabin Sinking

Default Duck Cabin Sinking

So the duck cabin I have been hunting out of is on pilings and has been slowly sinking to one side. The cabin has been here for many years and has had several foundation repairs. The thing sits 5' in the air and the ground under it is more marsh than anything else.

I am sure that this describes many of the cabins on the Susitna Flats. I do not have winter access so any materials would have to be flown out so that limits length and weight. Have looked at lowering the cabin down onto a new foundation but don't want to end up with the same results and less room to work with.

I see many cabins in the area that appear to be right on the water but have not walked over to see if they are actually floating or are on foundations. Any ideas on how to address this in a somewhat permanent manner would be appreciated.

10 more days to go!

Get a hold of Alexander on this forum, he can hall everything out to your cabin cheaper than you can.

I have hauled material over there in the winter. I assume we are in the same area. Susitna flats. I'm near the mouth of the lewis. Let me know if I can help. My pilings were assisted by adding a crib under each corner long ago. Built a 3'x3' square on each corner to spread the footprint. Hasn't moved in years since that maintenance was done.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

MacGyver,

Thank you.

AK375HH,

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I have hauled material over there in the winter. I assume we are in the same area. Susitna flats. I'm near the mouth of the lewis. Let me know if I can help. My pilings were assisted by adding a crib under each corner long ago. Built a 3'x3' square on each corner to spread the footprint. Hasn't moved in years since that maintenance was done.
    After some discussion it seems that thiis our likely direction. Can be done with relatively short sections of lumber and hauled in piece meal if need be. What did you use for a base plate if anything? What did you build the cribs with, treated 8" x 8" or something else?

Thanks again.

Treated 4x4 and a treated 3/4 base on them. IF it can wait, it'd save a ton on fuel i would think to haul it all in one shot this winter.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

AK375,

Sounds good.

Thank you very much.