Thread: Raft Flip At Eagle River Campground Rapid

Default Raft Flip At Eagle River Campground Rapid

KTUU reported last night, 20 August that a raft carrying 4 adults and 5 kids hit the center rock logjam and flipped at Campground Rapid (Sorry, no link. It's on their website). Luckily everyone was wearing pfd's and survived relatively unscathed and we're treated for hypothermia by the AFD.

If you are considering running this rapid I'd reccomend you do so solo first and then contemplate the same moves required with a loaded boat and the consequences of swimmers without dry suits in glacial water. Campground Rapid is not a good "first time" whitewater option. It is only rated class III but the current logjam could create class VI consequences. I've run it solo and I've also chickened out because I just didn't feel safe on that particular day.

Agreed! It was charging two weeks ago when I did it and almost went swimming. The last hole grabed me and the raft went vertical. Needless to say, I don't have an desire to do it again anytime soon. I was smart enough to have my passengers watch the ride, otherwise they would have swam for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    KTUU reported last night, 20 August that a raft carrying 4 adults and 5 kids hit the center rock logjam and flipped at Campground Rapid (Sorry, no link. It's on their website). Luckily everyone was wearing pfd's and survived relatively unscathed and we're treated for hypothermia by the AFD.

If you are considering running this rapid I'd reccomend you do so solo first and then contemplate the same moves required with a loaded boat and the consequences of swimmers without dry suits in glacial water. Campground Rapid is not a good "first time" whitewater option. It is only rated class III but the current logjam could create class VI consequences. I've run it solo and I've also chickened out because I just didn't feel safe on that particular day.
    http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/nine-p...ident/34837980

I grew up in Eagle River and have rafted Campground countless times since the early 90s. No way would I want to do it with four adults and five kids at any level. Running whitewater with kids ramps up the consequences when you screw up. Campground is a straightforward rapid, but Birdstrike is right it does have gnarly consequences, especially since the flood of 2012 flushed decades worth of dead wood into the rapid.

With that said, good on them for wearing their PFDs and all of them self-rescuing. I hope they were able to retrieve their boat and gear and come away with a good story and a humbling learning experience.

-Josh