Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on a M1A 300 WM

Default Your thoughts on a M1A 300 WM

What do you guys think about ( IF! ) Springfield Armory made a M1A chambered in 300 Win Mag with that wonderful walnut stock and all the configurations as the 7.62x51. Like a cross between the M1 Grand & M1A (M14). Ooo Baby Ooo Baby Ooo Baby. Would you sell an old 4wheeler or maybe the neighbors kid for one?

Well I can build you one if you wanted it that bad, the conversion to detachable mag and feeding the belt are the harder issues with it. Ive done a Garand in 338-06 and working on one in 35 Whelen and IMO ether of these are better Alaska calibers but I can do 300wm.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    ...338-06 and working on one in 35 Whelen and IMO ether of these are better Alaska calibers but I can do 300wm.
    Now you're talking. I just can't conceive a single use for the 300WM in an M1A without a scope. But it's not my money, so I'll never have to figure out just how to use it. But in 338-06 or 35 Whelen, it doesn't take any imagination at all to figure out how to use it.

Also easy to make a 338 Federal or 358 Winchester from the 308 based M1A platform which are also very good Alaskan rounds.

On an aside I was at Sportsman's Warehouse here in north Phoenix last night and they had 1000 rounds of new Hornady 358 Winchester brass on the rack . . . haven't seen any of that in ages.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

...Sportsman's Warehouse here in north Phoenix last night and they had 1000 rounds of new Hornady 358 Winchester brass on the rack . . . haven't seen any of that in ages.
    Go figger! I wonder how many 358's there are withing 200 miles of Phoenix. Never tried the Hornady brass. Then again, I found 10 dusty boxes of new Winchester brass in a little hole-in-the-wall shop in coastal California last year. All still originally marked at $7.95, and the guy sold them to me for that. Along with 5 boxes of factory loads (1 in 200 grain, and 4 in 250 grain) originally marked at $14.95. Snapped those up too.

I bet if a 358 shooter happens to stop at the Phoenix SW, there will be some snapping going on.

Might be a bit heavy for packing around the woods all day. To me the 35 Whelen makes more sense but even there, loaded with 8 rounds and a scope and mounts it would probably weigh about 11 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Go figger! I wonder how many 358's there are withing 200 miles of Phoenix. Never tried the Hornady brass. Then again, I found 10 dusty boxes of new Winchester brass in a little hole-in-the-wall shop in coastal California last year. All still originally marked at $7.95, and the guy sold them to me for that. Along with 5 boxes of factory loads (1 in 200 grain, and 4 in 250 grain) originally marked at $14.95. Snapped those up too.

I bet if a 358 shooter happens to stop at the Phoenix SW, there will be some snapping going on.
    Well I'm a 358 Win shooter but I'm too cheap to buy head stamped brass, I just my ample supply of 308. They were $33 per box of 50, I was tempted so I could send a proper head stamped fired case with my builds to their new owners . . . but like I said I'm cheap.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Might be a bit heavy for packing around the woods all day. To me the 35 Whelen makes more sense but even there, loaded with 8 rounds and a scope and mounts it would probably weigh about 11 pounds.
    True but they can be whittled down a lot from the military version. The barreled actions are not that heavy themselves but some can come off there. A hole lot can come off the stock, it was designed for use as a club so a LOT could come off. Never be as light as a bolt but I think it could be not all that bad.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Never be as light as a bolt but I think it could be not all that bad.
    I forget the model (geezer brain!), but a bud has the German 8mm semiauto "answer" to the Garand his dad packed back at the end of the war. Lotta stampings and rough build, and the stock is stained mystery wood. But I bet it weighs 2# less than the Garand. Kinda funky really, and obviously turned out late in the war when German industry was really hurting. But it's been 100% reliable and accurate for 70 years now.

458 win mag ought to be fun. I think it is the same dimensions, length wise, as the 06.

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    458 win mag ought to be fun. I think it is the same dimensions, length wise, as the 06.
    Yea I think all the belted Win Mags are 3.34" OAL. Belted Rem Mags a bit shorter and Wby Mags longer.

But don't ya think 458wm a tad over doing it for the Americas?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

.338 Win Mag could be a lot of fun in an M1.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    They already make these.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Speaking from the practical standpoint, semi-auto is probably pretty academic when it comes to big boomers. I have a light 375 H&H bolt gun with open sights, that tips the scale just over 7#. It's a joy to carry, but a woolly bugger to shoot fast and accurate without a lot of ongoing practice. With 300 grain loads I have a brief bout of double vision after three quick shots. Really, really rings your bell. Kind of a challenge to keep your front foot on the ground when you light it off, and a fast cycle from the Garand action isn't going to make recovery any faster.

Just a heads up for anyone with visions of a lightweight quickshooter. I'd figure on making it at least 9# if I was to have one built.

I'm curious if there is a practical purpose in mind for one or just a cool gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'm curious if there is a practical purpose in mind for one or just a cool gun?

To burn out barrels faster? Seriously though, I question putting the 300WM in on platform that's not designed for a scope. And like others have mentioned, increasing the caliber to 338 or 35 seems a bit more interesting for, let's admit it guys. . . zombie bears!

Quote Originally Posted by AKMtnRunner View Post
    To burn out barrels faster? Seriously though, I question putting the 300WM in on platform that's not designed for a scope. And like others have mentioned, increasing the caliber to 338 or 35 seems a bit more interesting for, let's admit it guys. . . zombie bears!
    Ha ha ha, zombie bears, I like it... But I thought that's what the .458 SOCOM was for?

As with an AR-10 I can't imagine feeding one, too rich for me!

Years ago there was a Browning BAR that someone had made into a .458 Win. Mag. I never knew anyone who ever shot it but is was at several gun shows in the Anchorage area. Each time it was at someone else's table. Funny thing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    ...but is was at several gun shows in the Anchorage area. Each time it was at someone else's table. Funny thing that.
    Kind of like my lightweight 375 H&H! I bought it for a song from the guy who had it built, along with the 2 boxes of shells he got for test firing.... With exactly three rounds missing! I got to load test the same guy's Ruger #1 he had rechambered for 460 Weatherby Mag. He'd never shot it, and was basically afraid to do it. I worked up the loads for it (best accuracy was with some custom 600 grain spitzers) and provided him with 100 rounds of loaded ammo on once-fired cases. Far as I know, he still hasn't shot it 20 years later! That is indeed a memorable gun to shoot, so I'm sure I'd have heard about it if he had shot it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast