Thread: Kah Sheets lake

Default Kah Sheets lake

Anyone fish the Kah Sheets lake and river.Looking info on timing of runs ,also any good or bad things to look out for,Thanks!

Been there too: Do a search - there are several posts recently by me and others (flafonta, mmartin6) on this location earlier this year. Good fishing - depends on time of year; wadeable stream; as far as the cabins go - the one at the lake is nice - no tidal restrictions - but a ways to walk to the bay; whereas the one at the bay is small and dark but right next to the bay - and that is sometimes where the freshest fish are (first few holes above tidewater, and below the lower "falls").

Thanks for info these 2 "falls' that are on this river are fish able to go around or over them to continue up stream?

They have to jump the waterfalls

I think silvers and reds jump the falls, but the pinks and chums don't.

Interesting thing about pinks and chums is that they can sucsessfully spawn in the intertidal zone
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Nice Place

Usually for Sockeye you can fish most of July, the second week is always the best timing cause depending on early or late runs they will be there mid July. There is a few hole around the cabin and up stream some, then it's about 1.5 miles to the lower falls. Fishing about the falls is kinda futile, the fish do go above but the stack up thick below the lower falls. By late July you can catch Sockeye,Chums, Pinks and a few silvers in the stream and bay. If you are looking for a diverse catch I would stay at the bay cabin. The lake is beautiful but you either have to boat to the bay and hike 3 miles or fly in to the lake which can be expensive. You can rent a boat in Petersburg and drive yourself to the bay. There's a large mudflat but the boat rental company should be able give you directions on getting in and out of the bay. Do you have any transportation plans? Also if you are planning on making the trip this summer you might be limited already on cabin availability. The bay cabin with your own boat would also open up some opportunities to fish halibut right out side the bay. Last year right near that area I caught a #200er.

Thanks for the great info.I am planing on going next summer doing leg work this summer.Any recommendations on a boat rental company.I have looked into flying costs around $800. Sounds like you have been to Kah Sheets.I am taking my 2 sons 18 and 31.Not targeting any particular species of fish just would like a variety and large quantity to fish for. Will ther be very many people coming there from lodges etc.?

I did see one group of daytrippers from a lodge but that can occur many places. I would say probably not "very many" people all the time, cuz its not continuous/direct access; what you're dealing with boating is tides requiring either a walk or a high tide, and I don't think that many people like doing that on a daily basis but who knows? There are also people with their own boats that go around that area.

I flew in from Petersburg with "Pacific Wing" and I think it was around $400-$500 roundtrip for a 206 - it was like a 10 minute ride; but they could be booked up, prices could have gone up, or you could be flying from somewhere else.

As far as Bay vs. Lake, again, the bay cabin is dark and small, has tidal access issues, but is closer to the fishing, whereas the lake cabin is big and light and has decking and boats etc, has unlimited plane access, but is a ways farther to walk to some of the fishing. That doesn't mean fish don't get up there - they do - but the salmon may be riper. By "tidal issues", I mean if you are going by plane, or boat, you can only get so close to the bay cabin depending on what the tide is, and after that you will have to slog through a tidal marsh and/or mudflat for the rest of the way.

Doyle's in Petersburg rents boats.

Default Bay

I'm from Petersburg though I don't currently live there and I would choose the bay cabin. I used to work for the USFS cabins in the summers during college and while the bay cabin is small and dark it gives you access to lots of fishable stream. It can be some work dealing with the tide as there is a large tidal flat at the creek mouth but I do know that Doyle's Boat rentals will give you directions about where to anchor. There are also some other cabins in the area that would allow you close access to Kah Sheets while still being able to look at other streams and fishing oppotunities in the area. I would look at Beacher's Pass cabin as a second alternative. It's about a 15 minute boat ride from Kah Sheets bay and you wouldn't have to deal with a lot of tide. You could fish Kah Sheets but also fish other stream and rivers in the Duncan Canal area and you would have better access to crabbing and halibut fishing. Boat rental wise there are a couple of outfits in town that rent boats. Scandia House hotel and Doyle's Boat rentals. Scandia runs 18 ft lund's with 40hrs two-cycle yamaha engines those will run you about $150/day. Doyle's runs 16 and 18ft welded crestliner's with 4 stroke yamaha outboards. the 16 ft's have a 25 hp and the 18 ft's have 40 hp. The 16 ft are $100 a day and the 18 ft are $125 a day.

Default Thanks for kah sheet info

Akboater,
    Email me at rickhershberger@ssservicesrh.com i would like to ask you some more questions! Thanks in advance!

AKboater is pretty much right on all points; in fact, I stayed at the kah bay cabin mainly because it was 100 yards to start fishing. Its fine for 3 people - just not fancy like the one at the lake. One idea I've used successfully for dealing with shallow water depth in tidal channel/flats is to bring a small inflatable to line gear from boat or plane; alot easier than lugging it on your back; works in as low as ~1 foot w/ 200-300#.