Thread: A "New" Silver Blast!

Default A "New" Silver Blast!

Not really new, but we only recently got around to it, and I don't know anyone else doing it over here. The Canadians have been doing it for about 100 years of BC and Vancouver Island, with Puget Sound joining in during the 1930's.

We've been taking our 7WT and 8WT fly rods out to troll for silvers. You don't have to get down far, and in fact the Canadians do a version with mono, and no fly line at all. They just let out 20'-30' of mono so the fly skims right along under the surface and sometimes skip on top at slow trolling speeds of around 2MPH. For obvious reason they call it "skipflying." Just about any sink-tip fly line ought to work just fine.

Anyhoo, we've been using sinking lines on our rods, but only letting out 20'-30' of line. The fly is running along no deeper than 1'-2' while trolling. It helps to pump your rod up and down a little to give the fly some action. Hang on tight, because they just about tear the rod out of your hand when they hit. If the fly is up near the top you'll get a boil, or if skipping along on top, a strike looks like someone tossed a downrigger ball into the water behind you.

We've been doing it for about a month now, refining our "chops" and testing a bunch of fly patterns. We've had a couple of skunk days when we couldn't find the fish. But when we find the fish, it's always hot action.

Today was fairly typical. We got on the fish right away and landed 4, lost 2 and missed a couple of hits. In half an hour! Best part was, when the first silver came up to the boat, there was a whole school swimming with it. No more trolling, just "cast" to the fish. More of a flop than a cast though, because we only needed about 10' of line out to connect.

Consistently best fly pattern for the last couple of weeks has been the Coronation Streamer. When they see it, they hit it. No questions asked.

Might as well put some serious fun into your silver fishing. Drag along a fly rod next time you go out and troll with that right close to the surface, and in the wake of the boat, back no more than about 30'.

Sounds like Fun Too me.. surface Killers 😃
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

The Best Bucktailing I've ever had on northern Vancouver Island was dragging whatever right where the bubbles from a 30hp Yammie two stroke ran out they seemed to love that motor.

A couple tiny spinner blades in front of the fly can liven things up if you're at all interested.

Quote Originally Posted by whalebreath View Post
    A couple tiny spinner blades in front of the fly can liven things up if you're at all interested.
    Good tip! I have some in the kit, and I'll try them. Thanks!

Sounds fun. Gonna try that if I get out again. (It is moose season)
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Sounds good. I think I'm going to take off work next week just to spend a week in the boat for silvers.

They seem to be bunching up more into schools now, rather than all over tarnation like they were a couple of weeks back. Find the schools by spotting jumpers or working where the birds are feeding, and the action sizzles. We did lots of prospecting last time out, not spending 10 minutes in a spot if we didn't get action. Found fish in half a dozen spots with blank water between.

One thing we found- Don't get so close to the bird wrecks that you break them up. If the birds scatter, the bait and silvers go right with them. The silvers seem to be kind of laying off the bird wrecks a little, so there's no need to drive right through the middle of the birds to connect.

Good fishing to you!

Thanks. I hit some birds last week and it made for a couple of hook ups and one in the net. Also had them cruising around the boat chasing flies, but not eating. I had a single fish hang around the boat for several minutes and swipe at several different flies but never hook up. I'd love to be out today, but I draw the line at 30 mph winds! LOL

Geez we gotta try that next year. We were at Petersburg, on Aug 10th it was heavy overcast and my daughter could see them up riding the waves just under the surface.

Oh yeah. Last two times we were out (most recent this morning), you couldn't keep the silvers off those flies within a foot of the surface. You can't manufacture fish if they're not there, but when you located the schools, the fish were all over the flies. Hot fly again today was the Coronation Streamer. Wow.